check engine light on but NO OBD2 code in ECM?

M Crawford

I am curious if anyone else has seen similar.

Our Camry is a 2004, 2.4L with 118k miles.

This past weekend our 2004 Camry started showing a check engine light constant. As I own the OBD2 scan equipment I plugged the unit up hoping to get a code readout by which to implement a fix. However, when I go to obtain the code, No code appears, device shows that no code exists within the system. Just to make sure My scanner was still ok, I simulated an O2 fault code by unpluggin one of my 02 sensors, and yes it did pick that one up.

I can do a clear all codes, even though none appear and for a very short time the light will remain off. But then it comes back. When I cehck it again scanner shows no code.

Anybody out there ever see similar? and if so any ideas as to how to remove this.

thanks!

Mike Crawford

Selma, Al

2004 Camry 2.4

1996 Corolla 1.6

Every once in a great while, it's actually the light itself that has the issue...

Did you check your fuel cap to make sure it's on tightly? Try taking it off, putting it back on, and making sure it clicks 3 times when you close it. It may not immediately clear, but may work in a day or so. This is the most prevalent reason a car kicks a code...

Every once in a great while, it's actually the light itself that has the issue...

Did you check your fuel cap to make sure it's on tightly? Try taking it off, putting it back on, and making sure it clicks 3 times when you close it. It may not immediately clear, but may work in a day or so. This is the most prevalent reason a car kicks a code...

leigh,

Thanks for some speedy feedback.....I see your in vegas, was just out there last week visiting freinds on my bike, cold/windy weather you've been having!!

On the code and gas cap...yep Ive heard of that one happening on a few other vehicles. Matter a fact my Ford SUV has done it a time or two, but usually It always shows up as an evap or similar code.....the camry after read only shows 0, as in no code....but hey, I'm game I'll try it on the camry as well.

I just earlier this week, prior to this starting, did the 120k major service, valve adj and such. I was thinking I might have unplugged something and forgot or possibly made some wire loose as you have to move the major engine harness to remove the chain tensioner. But after much checking have found nothing left undone,loose or otherwise. However any unplugged anything should send a valid code. Scratching head here.

Thanks

leigh,

Thanks for some speedy feedback.....I see your in vegas, was just out there last week visiting freinds on my bike, cold/windy weather you've been having!!

On the code and gas cap...yep Ive heard of that one happening on a few other vehicles. Matter a fact my Ford SUV has done it a time or two, but usually It always shows up as an evap or similar code.....the camry after read only shows 0, as in no code....but hey, I'm game I'll try it on the camry as well.

I just earlier this week, prior to this starting, did the 120k major service, valve adj and such. I was thinking I might have unplugged something and forgot or possibly made some wire loose as you have to move the major engine harness to remove the chain tensioner. But after much checking have found nothing left undone,loose or otherwise. However any unplugged anything should send a valid code. Scratching head here.

Thanks

Well Ive tried just about everything and still that darn old light pops up, but when scanned no codes show up....I do a clear codes and it will stay off for the first running session but when its cranked the next time back it comes...even went as far as taking it to the local parts house that does free scanning and even their scanner shows the same thing = nothing.

any other ideas or experiences out there?......appreciate any and all input!