Hong Kong Toyotas

Leighcm

Hi everyone!

I'm in Hong Kong for a week, and I've seen some pretty interesting Toyotas here. For starters, every single taxi in the area is a red Toyota Crown with a grey roof. If you look inside, they look just like the models from about 1995, but they're much newer, like 2000s and newer. They're also all LPG fueled. Pretty neat.

I was surprised to see that most of the cars here are large vehicles. And they say Americans drive big cars...I would say 60% of the vehicles here are very large vans. The Toyota Hiace, Toyota Previa (brand new ones that look a little like the Sienna), Toyota buses all over town, the Toyota Picnic (may be based on the Corolla?). A lot of the SUVs, like the Rav4, RX300, etc., have little mirrors on the left front fender, as well as little mirrors over the rear hatch. The one in the back is to help parallel park because parking is very tight here, but I have no idea about the one in the front. Most of them have really cool ground effects packages too.

I also visited Macau...all the cabs are Corollas here, but they have a different body style than what we're used to in the states.

We should consider ourselves lucky in the states with our current sales tax amounts on cars. In Hong Kong, it's almost 100% tax; in Macau about 35% tax. Ouch!!