Is mini-size spare wheel the best solution?

Hi!

My Toyota Avensis have a mini-size spare wheel and I am happy of this, because for me this is the best solution.

Nowadays there are four possible solutions when a tyre get punctured:

1) full-size spare wheel:

this is the classical solution but, for the life of the car, you have less space in the trunk and, above all, the car weights more, so the performances are inferior and the fuel consumption is thinly higher. In my opinion this is a money throw away solution, because a regular tyre and a regular rim are wasted for the life of the car.

2) "fix and go" kit:

this is the solution preferred on the luxury sport cars. It is a kit composed by a little air compressor and a can of tyre repairing foam. This solution weights very few and the space used is the lowest, but there is the big disadvantage that if the tyre is ripped and not punctured this kit is useless.

3) run flat tyres:

they allow you to reach the next tyre shop, also with zero pressure, but they are very expensive and often after a puncture they are to throw away. In case of ripping they are useless.

4) mini-size spare wheel:

this solution, in comparison with full-size spare wheel, allows you to have more space in the trunk and the car weights less, with all the relating advantages.

nofear.gif

Alberto.

What about the rear impact protection gained from having a full-size spare & rim in the trunk?

Also: as for run-flats, I have them on one of my current vehicles, and I rather like them so far. The extra cost isn't significant, as the tires are already low profile speed rated tires. It is a bit odd not having a spare tire though....

What about the rear impact protection gained from having a full-size spare & rim in the trunk? I think that mini-size spare wheel have by law the same load resistance of a standard full-size wheel, indipendently if the rim is made of steel or aluminium alloy.

So I think that the rear impact protection given by a mini-size spare wheel is fully comparable with a full-size wheel.

nofear.gif

Alberto.