Toyota 1C0 "Sterling Silver" Body Color Tonality

Hi!

Since the beginning of the marketing of the Avensis '03 I felt a bit "strange" the light champagne tonality of its silver body color (paint code: 1C0), slightly different from the one used on the alloy wheels.

The Corolla '02, for example, has a different silver body color, lighter and very similar to Audi and Mercedes-Benz aluminium tonality. The silver body color of the restyilized Corolla '04, instead, has the same light champagne tonality of the Avensis '03.

Well, I did some researches and I discovered that this particular tonality of silver corresponds to the commercial variety of silver defined "sterling silver" or "925 silver" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_silver ): it is an alloy composed at 92.5% by silver and at 7.5% by copper. Pure silver is extremely malleable and therefore can easily damage. It also softens over time, even at room temperature. Obviously, in this state silver is useless for jewellery purposes. To avoid the problems of malleability and softening, and thus to increase the life-span of the silver jewellery, other metals are added to the pure silver. The result of this blending process with alloys is a combined silver and alloy substance which is far more resistant to scratching and damage. This alloy is commonly used to make jewels, cutlery and, naturally, coins.

The 1C0 sterling silver color, then, is very similar to the amazing papillon silver heliochrome of the Volkswagen Phaeton. This is a color that varies from pure silver to a very light gold, depending on what angle you view it from, and what the prevailing light is (more informations and photos at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2001559 ).

Moreover I discovered that the 1C0 sterling silver color is used since the beginning by Lexus on all its models.

I like very much this particular color, so modern, elegant and technological, and you?

Cheers, Alberto.

Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i automatic in sterling silver metallic (code 1C0), equipped with invisible-type Proxel EPS-Micro Plus parking sensor

01C0 is a great color...it's called Millenium Silver Metallic, came out for the 2000 models in that exact shade, and has been used on the Avalon, Camry, RX330, LS430, GS300/430, SC430 (and I think the Sienna, Solara, Tundra, and a few others.) Very elegant, and seems to hold up extremely well long term.