Corolla manual trans fluid changed - now problems

markB

My dealer suggested changing the manual transmission fluid for my 1998 Corolla. Prior to this work, the transmission was flawless!

After the work, I find that I often (1/2 time) can't get into 1st gear - takes two, three, four tries. Sometimes (with traffic behind me) I am forced to start in 2nd. Sometimes, after the car has sat around, there is a delay before the clutch catches - I lift the clutch pedal and wait a few seconds - then 'something' seems to slam into place, and off I go. It feels as though I've been gently hit by another car...a bit of a jolt.

The dealer has looked at it, confirmed that it has problems getting into gear, but doesn't know what to do.

Any suggestions? The car shifted like a dream just before the service. In fact, I own a 2006 Pontiac Solstice that shifts like a truck compared to the Corolla. I was bragging about the Corolla just the day before the service - now the Solstice seems like a pretty smooth car...