Driving is FUN again!

Outlawed~Rice

First of all, Hello folks.

I just now found this forum, and figured it's a good place to start,lol. Much needs to be told, but basically along with another member here, I too recently aquired an old toyota pickup, 87' if that is old anyway. My brother in law found it in a farmer's barn in PA, where it sat for fifteen years on blocks, ran when parked, but just sat all those years. My brother in law simply updated a few things, and sold it to me when he ran out of play time.

I was just out looking for a beater mobile to save wear and tear on my 2005 Ram R/T, going to work everyday. I've had this little toyota two weeks now, but it's looking like the Ram is on it's way out, just because it isn't nearly as fun to drive,lol. Reason I'm here now, or the reason I'll be returning rather.... is because I'm already getting brainstorms of how I'm going to trick this little toy out. Not talking ground effects and 20' inch rims either, but not sure where to start. Anywho... as for now, I'd like to know, if there are any common links you folks might be using, as far as used parts, non-factory oem parts, or the like at all, for some guy, with a new old truck, lookin to get into trouble with the wife....lol. "over money spent that is"

Anyway, when I get time again, I'll bring more info, and exact questions,and pictures, it's simply unreal how clean it is, even with an 80-dollar maaco paint job on it,lol. be good folks.

~Outlaw~/.

First of all, Hello folks.

I just now found this forum, and figured it's a good place to start,lol. Much needs to be told, but basically along with another member here, I too recently aquired an old toyota pickup, 87' if that is old anyway. My brother in law found it in a farmer's barn in PA, where it sat for fifteen years on blocks, ran when parked, but just sat all those years. My brother in law simply updated a few things, and sold it to me when he ran out of play time.

I was just out looking for a beater mobile to save wear and tear on my 2005 Ram R/T, going to work everyday. I've had this little toyota two weeks now, but it's looking like the Ram is on it's way out, just because it isn't nearly as fun to drive,lol. Reason I'm here now, or the reason I'll be returning rather.... is because I'm already getting brainstorms of how I'm going to trick this little toy out. Not talking ground effects and 20' inch rims either, but not sure where to start. Anywho... as for now, I'd like to know, if there are any common links you folks might be using, as far as used parts, non-factory oem parts, or the like at all, for some guy, with a new old truck, lookin to get into trouble with the wife....lol. "over money spent that is"

Anyway, when I get time again, I'll bring more info, and exact questions,and pictures, it's simply unreal how clean it is, even with an 80-dollar maaco paint job on it,lol. be good folks.

~Outlaw~/.

Welcome! Love to see pics when you get them....

• 2 months later...

Hello again all,

I know, I'm slacking on the pics, I apoligise, just haven't had time to run the film threw the process yet, I will get it done soon though. Now, I got a good question, actually a couple for the local gearheads here, or should I say the More mechanically inclined then I,lol. :P

1. I want to rip the bench seat out of her, it's old, not meant for the fun I have in it. Now just happen to have a set of bucket seats out of my wife's old 94' Pont. Grand Am. My question is, Will the swap be as difficult, or more, if I went out to buy a set of aftermarket racing buckets?

2. Now, this truck has 160,000 original miles on it, and still sounds real good, when it wants to. The truck was pulled out of a barn where it sat on blocks for about fifteen years. My brother-in-law rebuilt the carb, replaced cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, replaced ignition coil, oxygen sensor, and (a weired named emissions valve?). Now, when she is cold, she is very hard to get running smooth, and I noticed black smoke coming from the t.p. while she puts away, (Running rich I suppose) but this ends after driving for about fifteen-twenty minutes, and does this about 7 out of 10 cold starts, I do not however know if it is running rich once warmed up, and trying to inspect the plugs for the old school symptoms, she gives me a different looking plug everytime, but nothing to indicate to me there is whatever wrong, by the climer book manual anyway.

What could be causing this? if anything. Where might I possibly look to check this sickness out? And NO Auto Zone, and the Pep Boys gang are no help to me, after I say "1987" I feel like I'm talking about a long extinct species when I go to these people, around my area anyway. Oh, and it is the little 2.2L (22R).

3. Does the manual four speed they put in these things, have a clutch adjustment anywhere? or is it all left up to the grand ol' Hydrolic Sponge, I mean clutch system......

Thanks for all who know more then I, and for reading all the junk I left behind. Thankx in advance if you could help me out here though...lol.

Later.

~Outlaw~/.

We're turning blue here waiting for the pics...just kidding.

Anyway, the question on the seats: in my humble opinion, you'd be better off getting some half-way decent racing seats instead of rigging the Grand Am seats to fit. Grand Am seats aren't that great, and you can get some decent stuff through Sparco, etc.

As for the question on running rich...this sounds like something for Stevelaw. Steve?

Code Blue! :huh: ,

Working on it,lol. I thought about that, but it's a tough call for me so far, I guess because the seats are right here and free...lol. Don't know yet, But I'm sure ya'll will see it unfold as I hack it up,lol. Thanks.

~Outlaw~/.

PS> Do they make a posi-trac kit for these itty bitty rear ends???