Snow Set Up

BF_JC230

Does anyone have information on winter set up?

My girlfriend has a 2005 Corolla LE and the tires are looking pretty tired for winter use - We are near Buffalo, NY and I have always ran winter tires....more specifically winter tires on winter rims.

Her car has factory steel wheels with hub caps, and no online resource that I can find sells a steel wheel / hubcap optioned winter package. How are people dealing with this... using factory purchased (dealer) steels, or going with alloy aftermarkets?

Seems I'd rather use the alloys in summer and the factory steels in winter

But then I have to ship the package (rims/tires) separate and dismount the current set up to switch everything over.

Is anyone running a winter specific set up?

Thanks

Jake

Does anyone have information on winter set up?

My girlfriend has a 2005 Corolla LE and the tires are looking pretty tired for winter use - We are near Buffalo, NY and I have always ran winter tires....more specifically winter tires on winter rims.

Her car has factory steel wheels with hub caps, and no online resource that I can find sells a steel wheel / hubcap optioned winter package. How are people dealing with this... using factory purchased (dealer) steels, or going with alloy aftermarkets?

Seems I'd rather use the alloys in summer and the factory steels in winter

But then I have to ship the package (rims/tires) separate and dismount the current set up to switch everything over.

Is anyone running a winter specific set up?

Thanks

Jake

The cheapest route is to just buy a set of snow tires, and switch back and forth spring and fall...that's what I used to do in Michigan on both my Camry and my Supra. The easiest way is to buy another set of wheels and tires to switch back and forth, if you really want to spend the money for a nice set of alloys. Check discounttire.com or discounttiredirect.com for deals.

Thanks - no one that I can find has a steel wheel package.

Convenience is exactly why I want to do this - I want to put it on the lift, change the tires and be done - come spring change back...

cost is about a wash after the life of the tire - esp. if using low cost steel wheels and hub caps...

to dismount / mount and balance

$15 to mount and balance per tire at local business

4 tires

$60 total

get 3 years out of the tires

$180

2 driving seasons per year

$360

plus time

This is what I do with my all season cars but they are all on aluminum rims...a winter set and a summer set.

I'll keep looking and thanks for the reply!

Jake

note to AWD - this is not my car, this is my girl friends car....my cars are just fine for the season in which they are intended...but thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I just found it interesting you were going through the hassle for steel wheels - i personally would have bought some cheap alloys and spiked tyres....

A couple of suggestions for you........

Go to tirerack.com they have a nice setup of inexpensive alloys and blizzaks I believe. I live in Denver, the winters are more mild, so I went with BF Goodrich Traction TA which are supposed to be the best rated all season tires for snow other than Nokians which I have heard are quite good too. Search Nokian on google you will see for yourself.

• 2 years later...