A/C coolant Level

woodye85741

The '87 corolla DLX I have does not A/C cool. I'm Sorry that I havent seen an answer on topic search.

Plan to recharge with R-134.

Haynes Repair Manual recommends 2 cans, with RED dye to determine for leaks.It says "quote".

" Because one can of refrigerant may not be sufficient to bring the system charge up to proper level,

it's a good idea to buy an additional can. "

Also states "Warning:Never exceed the system's capacity when adding refrigerant."

So,recharge from 14 oz. to 28 oz.

How can I tell how much is enough or how much is too much ?.

The '87 corolla DLX I have does not A/C cool. I'm Sorry that I havent seen an answer on topic search.

Plan to recharge with R-134.

Haynes Repair Manual recommends 2 cans, with RED dye to determine for leaks.It says "quote".

" Because one can of refrigerant may not be sufficient to bring the system charge up to proper level,

it's a good idea to buy an additional can. "

Also states "Warning:Never exceed the system's capacity when adding refrigerant."

So,recharge from 14 oz. to 28 oz.

How can I tell how much is enough or how much is too much ?.

I suggest that you take it to a professional. If the AC has worked OK up until recently there is clearly a leak and you have to fix that before the system is recharged or you are just wasting the refrigerant. The shop should also have the skills to repair the leak and recharge with the right amount of refrigerant and lubricant that is needed.

I appreciate your input although I am certain others had performed such repair themselves.

Yes, a professional should be able to do what needs to be done.

Yet it seems strange that procedure is explained in the repair manual.

I would like the input/advice from those who had done before