Refurbing

mrgoat

Hi everyone,

Ive recieved my dads 96 Camry LE with 190,000 miles on it. The cars in almost perfect mechanical condition, but the interior is pretty bad. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to do this stuff:

1. Somehow clean the seats and floor, its not made of leather. Some sort of fuzzy stuff that is now very crusty.

2. Make the doors swing a little bit easier. They groan and creak really loud when opened and closed.

3. Remove a mass of bumper stickers

4. The passenger side seat belt is jammed and can not be forced out. Some smart car guy said something about a "roller" being messed up. He also said something about him fixing it for $500 so im trying to do it myself.

5. Replace radio attenna

Thats about it, any input appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Ive recieved my dads 96 Camry LE with 190,000 miles on it. The cars in almost perfect mechanical condition, but the interior is pretty bad. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to do this stuff:

1. Somehow clean the seats and floor, its not made of leather. Some sort of fuzzy stuff that is now very crusty. 

2. Make the doors swing a little bit easier. They groan and creak really loud when opened and closed.

3. Remove a mass of bumper stickers

4. The passenger side seat belt is jammed and can not be forced out. Some smart car guy said something about a "roller" being messed up. He also said something about him fixing it for $500 so im trying to do it myself.

5. Replace radio attenna

Thats about it, any input appreciated.

1.) You can shampoo the carpets, but you're better off spending a $100 or so and having someone professionally detail the car. It's worth the money, even if the car has 190k.

2.) Have you tried WD-40 or white lithium grease?

3.) Try Goo-Gone. Removes bugs, tar, sticky stuff, etc. You can buy it at any place like Walmart, Meijers, hardware store, etc.

4.) Seatbelts are a safety issue. You should consider having it done by someone who knows what they're doing. $500 sounds very steep, though. I think you can replace the entire seatbelt mechanism for well under $500.

5.) Is it a power antenna? What's specifically wrong with it?

-LeighCM

98 Camry V6

2006 GS300 AWD

1994 Supra Turbo (sold...very sad..)

For rep[lacing the radio antenna, there is 2 options you have. Since you have an LE, You have a power antenna. To replace the mast, just get a new one, and unscrew the silver thing on top of the antenna base on the outside of the car. And get the antenna out. More to it then that, but let me know if you plan to do that.

2nd, you can do a Honda S2000 Antenna conversion for a nice custom look. Pretty easy to do and looks good. Also not too expensive.

Let me know if you want more info on either. :)

Adam

• 9 months later...

1. Try shampooing it with a real shampooer machine not rattle can. If its too far gone, consider replaceing carpet.

2. Soak them hinges with engine oil from an oil can, or tri flo. Work the doors as you spray it on. Wipe off excess.

3. Use a heat gun and brand new single edge razor, the quickest and cleanest way. I do it at work all the time. (Hair dryer not hot enough - HEAT GUN). Keep the heat moving and you wont damage the paint. Do one sticker at a time, keep the gun moving over the sticker for about 30 seconds to a minute, until edges start to peel (carefully use the razor and you wont scratch the paint). Then it will peel off. It would take about 5 minutes per sticker if that.

4. Take apart seat belt. Theyre not complicated. Remove the plastic cover, untagle the belt if need be. Clean the winding mechanism and lube it with a little oil or grease (not on the belt). The springs seldom break or wear out so maybe its just stuck.

5. Antenna?! Dont know. Most unscrew at the base.