Question about the belt change @ 90,000 miles.

illowa

<_< I have been talking to several Toyota car owners and was told by a couple that you no longer need to change the belt @ 90,000 miles. One of those is a lifelong Toyota mechanic who has a very good reputation. Another was a fellow I spoke to at a gas station and I asked him how he liked his 02 Camry. He loved it and I then asked at what mileage did he change the belts. He saidd he had 187,000 and hadn't changed it at all and he also said he didn't know he had to[guess he doesn't read the owners manual]. I would just like to know if any mechanic know anything about the belt chage at 90,000 miles. The mechanic also said if the belt does break, unlike other car manufacturers, that Toyota's don't lock up the motor and wreck everything. I don't know if this just knowitalls blowing off or if it's a fact. Any Ideas?.....Thanks Illowa. I'll Check back tomorrow if anyone wants to reply... :D

<_< I have been talking to several Toyota car owners and was told by a couple that you no longer need to change the belt @ 90,000 miles. One of those is a lifelong Toyota mechanic who has a very good reputation. Another was a fellow I spoke to at a gas station and I asked him how he liked his 02 Camry. He loved it and I then asked at what mileage did he change the belts. He saidd he had 187,000 and hadn't changed it at all and he also said he didn't know he had to[guess he doesn't read the owners manual]. I would just like to know if any mechanic know anything about the belt chage at 90,000 miles. The mechanic also said if the belt does break, unlike other car manufacturers, that Toyota's don't lock up the motor and wreck everything. I don't know if this just knowitalls blowing off or if it's a fact. Any Ideas?.....Thanks Illowa. I'll Check back tomorrow if anyone wants to reply... :D

It depends on the model...some have belts, some have chains. Chains are much more long term than belts. Some will totally destroy the engine if the belt breaks, most won't. If it's a belt, it should be changed around 60-90k...think of it as cheap insurance compared to buying a new motor.

It depends on the model...some have belts, some have chains. Chains are much more long term than belts. Some will totally destroy the engine if the belt breaks, most won't. If it's a belt, it should be changed around 60-90k...think of it as cheap insurance compared to buying a new motor.

What I was trying to convey is that this Foreign car and TOYOTA EXPERT MECHANIC said -the CAMRY[it's the only one he commented on] doesn't have to be changed until it's worn out or breaks. How it is determined to be worn out I don't know. He stated that if the belt BREAKS, it will do NO DAMAGE and that Toyota has made that possible while other manufacturers haven't corrected this problem. I have a 2007 Camry LE 4cyl and it's the best car I have ever had. It's my 4th Camry and this time out ,I think I WILL KEEP IT. I have always traded it before the change in belts was due. I always loved driving a NEW Camry because I always got my value at tradein time and because of this I was always able to get a new one because I WANTED A NEW ONE,NOT BECAUSE I NEEDED ONE. So, now that I have decide to keep it longer, I have to get advice on long term maintenance. I tend to believe this mechanic because of his reputation. A lot of people who have Toyotas of any kind go to him. He is not a Toyota dealer ,therefore he is not pushing something that they would like you to do to keep their service people busy,something the dealer always is pushing-unnecessary maintenance...Thanks..ILLOWA :)

I've always been a proponent of doing your maintenance on time...better safe than sorry, and a car is a big investment, especially if you're trying to avoid buying another one. Maintenance is still cheap insurance.

If you do break the timing belt, best case is that you'd be stranded on the side of the road (or in my case where I had the misfortune to break one of mine in the middle of the road and was stranded in the left turn lane...).

What year Camry do you have?

Newer models have a timing chain that never needs replacement instead of a belt. On Camry's with timing belts... Any "mechanic" that tells you NOT to change the belt at reccomended interval specified by Toyota is a "mechanic" that I would not let touch my car. The timing belt is made of kevlar and its vitually impossible to visually determine the condition of the belt by looking at it. Also, there are components (water pump and belt tensioner) that should be replaced when the belt is changed because if they ever fail, you'll need to go thru the expense of removing the belt. True, the Camry 4 cylinder engines are non interference engines, meaning that if the timing belt breaks, the engine will not be damaged, however your repair bills will be higher considering towing, setting up the timing on the crankshaft and both cams and any other damage that results from the broken belt slinging around inside the timing cover. Do yourself a big favor and change the belt, tensioner and water pump at the interval Toyota specifies for your year Camry. Taken care of, these engine will run 300,000 miles or more, I know.