93 Camry XLE Cooling Problems

xlelover

I'm having cooling problems with my '93 XLE. The thermostat needle shows the temp spiking about 4/5 of the way up then coming back down to normal temp range after higher rpm's. Is the water pump failing on me? I don't want to start spending a ton of money when I don't have to by replacing thermo, pump, sensors, etc. Thanks!

This sounds more like a faulty Thermostat. This is why:

A bad water pump would not bring the temperature back to normal after higher RPM's. If anything it would overheat and shutdown the engine after experiencing severe shakes. :huh:

B) A faulty thermostat may be opening at a higher temperature than normal and this is why your experience this return back to normal temperature after higher RPM's. :rolleyes: By the way <_< ,replacing a thermostat would be much cheaper and easier to change than a water pump. Plus, the shop will want to replace the timing belt if they do so. :rolleyes: One last note; if you do it yourself, make sure you buy the correct one and only buy original parts. I had one replaced with an after-market one and had to replace it 3 months later. Mechanic (at new shop) said use original parts when it comes to thermostats. So far no problems.

Good luck! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 1992 Camry LE V6 and I am experiencing a very similiar problem, except my temperature needle goes all the way into the red zone when idling. If I rev the engine at about 2500rpm or higher, it brings the engine temperature back down to a normal range. I recently had the timing belt and waterpump replaced (i just got the car and figured the timing belt and water pump should be changed because of the age and mileage on the car --245, 000km). The mechanic also replaced the idler bearing and the thermostat. I don't know if it is an after market thermostat.

I do not think the coolant is circulating at idle because when i run the heat, the air gets cold after about 30sec. But, when the engine rpm is kept at 2500 or higher the heat is continuous.

Do you guys think this is the thermostat too? I'm not sure if this condition existed before the mechanic worked on the car. I only had the car for a week at that point.

Any help, anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to purge the air out of the cooling system. Squeeze the hoses with the radiator cap off and see if air comes out.

If water pump is bad, the heater core will cool off when the heater fan runs a liittle while. Even a new water pump can fail.