1990 Camry V6 auto: can I use Toyota ATF IV

PhilC

Hi guys,

New to the site, but thought you might be able to help me. Just been to the Toyota dealer and he sold me some Toyota Type IV ATF for my 1990 Camry V6 auto (2.5 litre). Checking the manual, I see that it recommends Dexron II. Should I take the Toyota ATF back and get some Dexron II or III instead? I gather that the type IV is for newer Toyota autos (and it was expensive).

Also, whilst the car has generally been well maintained prior to me, the auto fluid is black and I think that it has NEVER been changed. Can't see anything on the service records. I'm aware of the risk of flushing the transmission. Should I get my mechanic just to change the ATF each oil change, so as to change the whole lot gradually over 12-24k miles?

Thanks,

Phil (London.)

Use Dexron III which supersedes II. This is what your trans calls for. Pick up a couple of trans drain plug gaskets from the dealer. Drain and refill (prox 3 qts) at each oil change for the next few changes or until you are satisfied with the color of the fluid. This should clean up the fluid nicely. I wouldn't bother to try to flush it. Those lines are well rusted on now and if you break one trying to remove it you will not be a happy camper.

i don't know about changing atf every oil change... i mean i am mechanic i have never heard of chaning atf this often i know its black and whatever it had to damage, the damage has been done. just make sure its at the right level. and the atf shouldn't stink.

take the car to a mechanic and tell him to drain the fluid and refill it with right level, drive it for 5-10 miles and drain it again and fill it with some more fresh fluid and you should be fine... do not use type iv. use dexron III....

hope this helps...

u don't need to buy a gasket and drain plug, you car already has one and unless its leaking, you don't need to change it...

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Really surprising that no-one bothered to look after the tranny when everything else has been so well serviced. At least it was a fairly cheap car ($800)