Extended Warranty

Hi all. I am new to the Toyota Owners Club, so I hope I am posting this correctly. Recently I purchased a Camry LE (2007) Metallic Barcelona Red (awesome). The dealer attempted to sell me an extended warranty for $1100. I would not bite. Although there is great merit to extended warranties (as in no worries), I have my doubts if they are worth purchasing. As I expressed to the folks at the dealership, the only thing Toyota does wrong is build them to well. My point was an extended warranty is not needed. That said, does anyone have an idea if this price is the norm or can one be purchased elsewhere for a reduced price. Thanks... :)

It depends on the warranty. You need to provide us with a little more information: is it a Toyota Financial warranty, what coverage, deductible or not, term, miles, etc. It may or may not be a good deal based on the warranty they tried to sell you. If it's a one year powertrain only, it's not a good deal, but if it's a 7 year/100k comprehensive warranty, it's a great price. If it's an aftermarket warranty company, pass on it as you can have lots of problems with the company. Don't respond to those offers in the mail either unless it's from Toyota Financial. Many aftermarket warranty companies don't like to cover claims, or make you pay upfront and maybe get reimbursed, or only pay out up to the total cost of the warranty.

I can tell that if you are going to buy a warranty, sooner is better. If you buy a warranty while the car is still under factory warranty, they're cheaper and you can get better, longer coverage. Think of a warranty as insurance...you hope nothing will go wrong, but if one thing does, it'll probably pay for itself. If two things go wrong, you're ahead of the game.

Thanks for the great advice. Yes, it is a bumper to bumper Toyota Comprehensive warranty (excluding wear and tear items) for 7 years, 100,000 miles. Then I suppose the price is one to go with. When purchasing the Camry, it had only 2621 miles (now 3200). The previous owner passed away (still had the new car smell ! :P ). I do not drive many miles per year (at least not now) but that is subject to change when the MBA is completed. Further, I really like the new bold look. Seems like Toyota is getting the design right. I traded my 96' ES300 and walked out owing 16K, with the Xzylon treatment as well, (tax included). Great deal. Only downside is that I miss the six cylinder. However, the four has a good bit of torque and I am getting use to it.

It depends on the warranty. You need to provide us with a little more information: is it a Toyota Financial warranty, what coverage, deductible or not, term, miles, etc. It may or may not be a good deal based on the warranty they tried to sell you. If it's a one year powertrain only, it's not a good deal, but if it's a 7 year/100k comprehensive warranty, it's a great price. If it's an aftermarket warranty company, pass on it as you can have lots of problems with the company. Don't respond to those offers in the mail either unless it's from Toyota Financial. Many aftermarket warranty companies don't like to cover claims, or make you pay upfront and maybe get reimbursed, or only pay out up to the total cost of the warranty.

I can tell that if you are going to buy a warranty, sooner is better. If you buy a warranty while the car is still under factory warranty, they're cheaper and you can get better, longer coverage. Think of a warranty as insurance...you hope nothing will go wrong, but if one thing does, it'll probably pay for itself. If two things go wrong, you're ahead of the game.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the great advice. Yes, it is a bumper to bumper Toyota Comprehensive warranty (excluding wear and tear items) for 7 years, 100,000 miles. Then I suppose the price is one to go with. When purchasing the Camry, it had only 2621 miles (now 3200). The previous owner passed away (still had the new car smell ! :P ). I do not drive many miles per year (at least not now) but that is subject to change when the MBA is completed. Further, I really like the new bold look. Seems like Toyota is getting the design right. I traded my 96' ES300 and walked out owing 16K, with the Xzylon treatment as well, (tax included). Great deal. Only downside is that I miss the six cylinder. However, the four has a good bit of torque and I am getting use to it.

My Highlander's Factory 3-year warranty expires in a few days, I want to buy an extended warranty before then, I believe I cannot if I do it afterwards. Where do I start? Are there any links or guides out there? I understand I can buy one from any dealer, so I assume there is competition, who has the best deals? TIA.

My Highlander's Factory 3-year warranty expires in a few days, I want to buy an extended warranty before then, I believe I cannot if I do it afterwards. Where do I start? Are there any links or guides out there? I understand I can buy one from any dealer, so I assume there is competition, who has the best deals? TIA.

There's not going to be a huge difference between dealers, but you may be able to get a few bucks off here or there. Check out this site to start:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tf...iceAgreementRSC

You can still buy an extended warranty after the original warranty expires; just not as much coverage is available.

There's not going to be a huge difference between dealers, but you may be able to get a few bucks off here or there. Check out this site to start:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tf...iceAgreementRSC

You can still buy an extended warranty after the original warranty expires; just not as much coverage is available.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was able to find the MSRP for a 7 yr. 100,000 plan as $1,425 I'll shop around for the next couple of days, but this is pretty pricey and actually more than what I remember at time of purchase. The car is low mileage (24,000) at the 3 year mark, so that is intuitively backwards, but so be it. Here's the final link I found:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tf...=Highlander_4x4