Remote Keyless Entry Disabled when Vehicle is Started

TheDriver

I have a 2023 Sienna, and although it is overall a nice, but rather ugly, vehicle I am becoming more and more disenchanted with Toyota overall, and will probably never buy another because of it, on both the factory and dealer side of the equation.

Pet pieve number one: The remote lock and unlock functions of the remote are disabled once the vehicle is started. This, quite honestly is pure nonsense! It forces me to pull the actual key blade out of the remote and use it on the driver's door (they are too cheap to put lock cylinders anywhere else) to lock and unlock the door. We have stupid people to thank for this "safety feature" and quite honestly this one issue alone will keep me from ever buying another Toyota, and oh yea, pet pieve number two: if I open the door to look back when backing into a tight spot, the trans immediately shifts into park! Another 'Safety Feature" to honor the lowest common denominators among us. 

When sitting in the vehicle with it turned on, the lock/unlock button works just fine, but the remote? NOPE! How asinine! I called Toyota and spoke to someone who was clueless and didn't even know this happens - Yea, like they actually give a hoot about their customers - it actually took 3 phone calls as their system kept dropping calls!

The dealer? No better - scheduled an appointment for a 20K Svc AND for the Second Key Program, to finally get the second key for my vehicle which is now a year old! Chip shortage - give me a break! I specifically asked if a part needed to be ordered for the key program, because if so, let's get that done first so I can bring the vehicle in once and get it all done. NOPE! In spite of the fact that I was told, "No problem we have everything we need, just come on down, NOPE, I get there, and their answer is, Oh, we have to order that key. So now I get to waste another half-hour drive each way, and an estimated 45 minutes to get a new key programmed. TOTAL BS!

And then Toyota wonders why people don't want to take their cars back to the dealer for service! HELLO, THIS IS WHY, BECAUSE YOUR SERVICE SUCKS!

So now, unless it's something covered under warranty, they'll never see me again! L8TR Toyota!

And I'll be installing an aftermarket remote, so I can have the keyless functionality that these rocket scientists have so arrogantly disabled, thinking they know better! 

Edited by TheDriver
  • Sad 1