Question about Transmission Service

Jesse James

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to your forum, thanks for letting me join.  I have a 2012 Highlander with approximately 220K miles.  At 100K miles I had the dealership flush my transmission fluid.  I'm getting ready to have it flushed again but a mechanic I use alot tells me the transmission filter needs to be changed.  I asked the Service Manager at the dealership about changing the filter and he said there's no need to change the filter, that the fluid flush would clean it.  My mechanic says that's not true, that whatever is trapped in the filter will stay there.  Does anyone have the answer to this issue?  Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Super late to the party but a related story...

When I got my '98 Lexus LS400 in 2007, I went to the dealership parts counter and asked for a transmission filter.  The counter help told me that they don't stock a filter because transmission service there was just hooking up the car to a fluid exchange machine (not a flush machine) and calling it good.

This is reasonable IMO, because the filter in an A650E is just a screen.  The old Ford C4 transmissions used a screen and I used to just remove, clean them in solvent and inspect them before re-installing them.

I suppose a transmission filter change would depend on the type of filter media.