free tires for life

I never heard of this, so I Googled it and found the following:

http://www.toyotafans.net/toyota-tires-for...-scam-t2173.htm

I have a tire maintenance program for my 09 Corolla. Came with it free they told me, which I doubt, because the paperwork shows it costs like $180 or so and I can return it within 30 days or something if I want. It covers if I get a flat or something, but I'm told it's hard to actually get them to do anything if at all. It's through a third party company.

Depending on the company that the tire maintenance warranty is through, it can be a great program. I had an acquaintance who purchased it for an SC430, then managed to blow out 3 tires and destroy 3 rims in one massive pothole incident. The tire warranty people paid out over $3k to them. It really depends on the warranty company, and even on their relationship with the dealer you got the warranty from.

Any "tires for life" promotion always requires you to do all maintenance at the dealership offering the program...it's just a hook to get you to do your maintenance there. It's not a bad thing: at least you have Toyota trained technicians working on your car, and it's much easier to get things covered under warranty if you have a good history with a dealership. You may spend a little more, but at least you have competent people taking care of you...and then you get free tires.

Average Corolla tire replacement time: depending on the tires, the driver, the car, and the driving conditions, anywhere from 20k - 50k.

Wish I knew about this when I got the Matrix.

The OEM tires for the Matrix, especially the Continentals wear out too fast.

They are supposed to last about 40k miles, my OEMs were going bald @ 25k with bad "cupping".

Meaning the tire wasn't as round as it could be.

Still I went aftermarket with Kumho ASTs and bigger size rims and am loving it ever since.

Yeah, it's a toss-up between performance and longevity...which is more important? The softer, stickier tires are (depending on the application) quieter, ride better, hold the road better, etc., and the harder tires last much longer but are prone to noisiness and a rougher ride.

Yeah, it's a toss-up between performance and longevity...which is more important? The softer, stickier tires are (depending on the application) quieter, ride better, hold the road better, etc., and the harder tires last much longer but are prone to noisiness and a rougher ride.

True,

but honestly these Kumho tires have been quiet & the ride is so smooth.

Best of Worlds in my opinion.

;)

Kumhos can be pretty nice. I had them on a BMW 8-series (believe it or not). I wanted the Pirellis, but the specs and ratings on the Kumhos were identical and the tires were half the price.

• 12 years later...

I bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma in 2911; and got the free tires for life.  I’m on my 3rd set of tires now and they haven’t cost me a penny.  You must keep up your maintenance with the place you bought it and every time you have an oil change they check your tire tread and if it’s too low then they replace the tires.   The one downfall is I moved from KY to IL so now I have to go back to KY for my maintenance- other than that a great program!

• 2 years later...