04 Corolla S oil burning

dapqam

Last weekend I warmed up my daughter's 04 Corolla S to get the oil circulating before I changed the oil. I put in synthetic for the first time; vehicle has 60K miles. After the oil change the car smoked (blue) and missed for several minutes. Probably a total of 30 minutes of running time spread over a few days. I thought I put in 4 quarts (with the filter change). The dip stick indicated full. Could it smoke and miss like that if I slightly overfilled it? Of course since the car was missing for a while too, the yellow engine light has turned on. Now the car is running flawlessly again except for the light (I had the code checked and it was due to the engine miss situation. Will this light go out eventually? The engine is running very smoothly now. Should I change the spark plugs just because it was missing for a while? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Perhaps engine sludge from the dino oil that was in there previously.

Was the car new?

Was it properly maintained?

The CEL should go away, but i suggest getting the code read 1st.

After doing so, you can remove the CEL by either removing the negative terminal to the battery for about 5-10 minutes or removing the ECU fuse under the hood for about 5-10 minutes.

You have an 04 Corolla, so I believe you have the 1zz-fe motor. That being the case with a filter change you would need about 4.5 quarts of oil.

The symptoms you described sound like engine sludge and the synthetic is cleaning it out.

The other day the check engine light went out on its own. Thanks for the advice on that issue.

The idea that the synthetic oil is removing the sludge from the engine is an interesting concept. We have had the car since it had 30K miles on it. It now has 60K. I have checked inside the oil filler hole with my finger to see if I could notice any sludge but I hadn't found any. I could have missed it however. The fact that after a little time of smoking the car has totally stopped smoking makes me think that you are onto something. If this is in fact true I guess the car motor is much better shape than it was prior to this. Cool.

I may just keep using synthetic from now on with this car so everything is kept very clean and sludge free. I will also try synthetic on my 2000 Solara which has 70K and see if the same thing happens. It is not due for an oil change until summer however.

Would like to hear from others on this situation, too.

Thanks again. You have been very helpful.