Manual lapses

oldjack

I have a 1999 Sienna LE Van and I have thoroughly searched the owners manual for information on how to check the automatic transmission and there is no information that I can find. I find this an odd lapse by the writers of the owners manual. My other Toyotas have manual transmissions.

Is it done with the engine running?

Should it be warm or cold when checking?

Should I shift through all of the gears before checking? This was required on one car I owned, not a Toyota.

Can anyone give me the proper procedure?

Shift points, maybe?

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL CHECK

Park the vehicle on a level surface.

With the engine idling and the parking brake applied, shift the selector into all positions from "P" to "L", and then shift into "P" position.

Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the fluid with a clean rag. Re-insert the dipstick and check that the fluid level is in the HOT range.

Do this check with the fluid at normal driving temperature (70 - 80°C, 158 - 176°F).

HINT: Wait until the engine cools down (approx. 30 min.) before checking the fluid level after extended driving at high speeds, in hot weather, in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.