1998 Camry heater issues

Snarl

I have a 1998 Camry LE with 95,000 miles. About 3 weeks ago the heater was not working properly and I took it to the dealer; $650 later I had a new thermostat, water pump and timing belt. A week later I took it back again because it was only warm at idle but hot when driving. They kept it a few days, said it was an air bubble and sent her back. Last week I took it back again because it still is only warm at idle (I have a remote starter since I have no garage and it usually heats right up) but hot when driving. THis time I was told there was a blockage in the heater core and it would need to be replaced, so a week later and another $650 I had the car back.

Guess what?? I still have the same problem! Has anyone else had this problem or have any input? I would really appreciate it. I am going back to the dealer next week for them to try again.

Thanks - Snarl

I would go mad at the dealer for not diagnosing the problem properly.

I would seek second opinion elsewhere before committing more money

Hi There, I hope the dealer fixed the problem. It sounds like a thermostad problem, and the new thermostad might have been put backwards. I have a 97 Corola. The heater stoped working--the car did not get warm enough, and gas miliage dropped at least 10%. So I did some research and everthing I read pointed to thermostad. So I changed the thermostad, and the coolant. After that the car has been working fine. I did spend a lot of time reading online and the repair manual because had not done it before and did not know where the thermostad was. However, I believe a garage/car mechanic can replace a thermostad in less than 1 hr time easy. ( only 2 bolts.). Also, from what I read about thermostad online, if the thermostad is put backwards, it will cause the car behave like yours. I hope this helps. By the way, where is the dealer? So I can stay away from it.. ;)