Broken door handle has me at wit's end

Cchar

1997 Toyota Camry with broken exterior handle on front driver's side.

Thanks to various postings here and elsewhere, I had no problem removing the inside door panel, and not much problem removing the old door handle assembly.

Also I was able to get the new door assembly installed EXCEPT I have not been able to attach the linkage mechanism to the door handle with the yellow plastic piece. If you've done this job before, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

What I'm trying to do, and if this is wrong please tell me, is to place the yellow plastic piece at the correct position on the end of the linkage, and then push the end of the linkage (with plastic piece still there) through the hole on the door handle mechanism where's it's supposed to attach.

Because I can't get much leverage, and there's not enough space to work any tools in there, I can't get enough force to get the plastic piece/linkage pushed through the hole.

I've tried to attach the linkage to the door handle assembly first, before securing the door handle assembly with the bolts; although this gave me slightly more working room, it wasn't enough to get the job done.

By any chance, am I supposed to insert the yellow plastic piece into the hole on the door handle mechanism, and THEN push the linkage through? I didn't try this because I don't think the linkage will go through if the yellow plastic piece is already in place, and it would be quite difficult to get the yellow plastic piece out to start all over again.

Any suggestions are enormously appreciated.

1997 Toyota Camry with broken exterior handle on front driver's side.

Thanks to various postings here and elsewhere, I had no problem removing the inside door panel, and not much problem removing the old door handle assembly.

Also I was able to get the new door assembly installed EXCEPT I have not been able to attach the linkage mechanism to the door handle with the yellow plastic piece. If you've done this job before, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

What I'm trying to do, and if this is wrong please tell me, is to place the yellow plastic piece at the correct position on the end of the linkage, and then push the end of the linkage (with plastic piece still there) through the hole on the door handle mechanism where's it's supposed to attach.

Because I can't get much leverage, and there's not enough space to work any tools in there, I can't get enough force to get the plastic piece/linkage pushed through the hole.

I've tried to attach the linkage to the door handle assembly first, before securing the door handle assembly with the bolts; although this gave me slightly more working room, it wasn't enough to get the job done.

By any chance, am I supposed to insert the yellow plastic piece into the hole on the door handle mechanism, and THEN push the linkage through? I didn't try this because I don't think the linkage will go through if the yellow plastic piece is already in place, and it would be quite difficult to get the yellow plastic piece out to start all over again.

Any suggestions are enormously appreciated.

Note: I have not done this on a Camry but.... on all the GM products I had to install the plastic keeper into the handle & then insert the linkage. The linkage locks into the handle via the plastic insert. Yes this is real pain since you can't get more than one hand in place and still see what you are doing.

Hopefully a Toyota expert will chime in.

Roy

Roy, thanks for contributing your experience. I'm uploading a photo of the yellow plastic piece and the linkage, which together are supposed to go into a hole on a latch attached to the handle mechanism. Roy, is this similar to the design you're familiar with?

post-2821-1197595044_thumb.jpg

Roy, thanks for contributing your experience. I'm uploading a photo of the yellow plastic piece and the linkage, which together are supposed to go into a hole on a latch attached to the handle mechanism. Roy, is this similar to the design you're familiar with?

Char,

yes they look the same. What happens is the plastic end that goes in the hole must be compressed to get through the hole on the door handle. Installing the linkage rod expands this plastic out and holds it in place. Then you must rotate the plactic clip to lock it onto the control linkage.

Good luck

Roy

P.S. Try not to force anything to much. Those cheap plastic clips can get REAL expensive both in band aides and more new parts.