2008 4Runner bad marketing

Wyatt27

The 2008 4Runner is falsely advertised and marketed by toyota’s own sales literature, brochures, press releases and dealer websites as having an active headrest safety system as standard equipment. Regardless of trim level none of the 2008 4Runners have this feature. I discovered this after being the victim of a rear end collision with injuries. After the accident I removed the back off the upper seat, next I took the 4Runner to the dealer so it could be investigated and three days later toyota's techline called the dealer back to inform me that none of the 2008 4Runners will have this active headrest system regardless of what the sales brochures and press releases indicate. It has been over three weeks with no resolution from toyota or the distributor, southeast toyota. It is not acceptable to spend over 38k on a vehicle and learn by being involved in an accident that it’s not equipped as advertised. Sadly toyota’s and southeast toyota’s awful customer service and lack of concern negate any positives about the 4Runner not to mention souring the relationship with my family and I who have owned over a dozen toyotas. The dealership's owner can't even get anywhere with them. It's a shame I had to learn the hard way about toyota’s current business practices and inability to timely address a critical customer concern. Have any other 2008 4Runner owners realized their 4Runner is not equipped as advertised and feel short changed?

• 3 weeks later...

The 2008 4Runner is falsely advertised and marketed by toyota’s own sales literature, brochures, press releases and dealer websites as having an active headrest safety system as standard equipment. Regardless of trim level none of the 2008 4Runners have this feature. I discovered this after being the victim of a rear end collision with injuries. After the accident I removed the back off the upper seat, next I took the 4Runner to the dealer so it could be investigated and three days later toyota's techline called the dealer back to inform me that none of the 2008 4Runners will have this active headrest system regardless of what the sales brochures and press releases indicate. It has been over three weeks with no resolution from toyota or the distributor, southeast toyota. It is not acceptable to spend over 38k on a vehicle and learn by being involved in an accident that it’s not equipped as advertised. Sadly toyota’s and southeast toyota’s awful customer service and lack of concern negate any positives about the 4Runner not to mention souring the relationship with my family and I who have owned over a dozen toyotas. The dealership's owner can't even get anywhere with them. It's a shame I had to learn the hard way about toyota’s current business practices and inability to timely address a critical customer concern. Have any other 2008 4Runner owners realized their 4Runner is not equipped as advertised and feel short changed?
Before I bought my 07 tundra 2 months ago I was told that the quality was not as good as I had been use to in years past.....drove many 07's before I found the colors I wanted and did not drive the one I bought...BIG mistake.....picked it up and drove it to work and the tires were not balanced and the dealer came up and picked it up and fixed that problem.....talked to the dealer about my problems and they listened and will look at it next week....When they found out that I had not got or sent in my "HOW DID WE DO" letter from Toyota...well you could here it in their voice......Wants to get me a loaner now and wants it xmas eve......trucksaledave

One thing to note: the "how did we do" letter from Toyota really affects only the dealer, and it's not necessarily their fault if your brand new vehicle comes with an issue, especially if it's not an obvious issue. If you fill it out with terrible scores, you'll only affect your relationship with the dealership. If you want help, fill out the letter with perfect scores, attach a personal letter saying how you really feel, and hand deliver it to the dealer. They'll be much more inclined to help you if you help them. It sounds to me like this dealer is pretty decent and is already really trying to help you (Toyota dealers don't normally pick up cars for service), so you should probably help them in kind.