07 matrix - want to install a remote starter

I just got an 07 matrix. The car has keyless entry but no alarm. 1.8L 4cyl. automatic. I was hoping to buy an after market remote starter. Is this a job a novice could do? I know the brand "Bulldog" has wire harnesses to make the job easier but I wasnt sure if toyotas can be tricky with this kind of stuff. The more info someone can supply the better, Im hoping to do this for the wife for christmas.

thanks

Just have it done....too much potential to screw up. Best Buy and Circuit City generally do a very good job on that sort of thing. It'll probably be a couple hundred bucks installed.

A couple things that could make it tricky:

1.) Manual transmission (almost everyone will refuse to put a remote start on a manual transmission because of liability issues)

2.) I'm not sure what kind of key is on a 2007 Matrix. If it's a security key with a chip in it, you may have to donate a key to make the remote starter work.

I think he said he has an automatic.

True about the key, though. I have that one with a chip in it. That chip is called immobilizer. You can't start a car if that chip (inside the key) is not in the car. You can simply hide the key somewhere in the car if you have a remote starter.

If you never done anything with you cars electric system I don't recommend you to do it yourself. Although it's kinda easy if you know what are you doing.

Yeah, I see that bit about "automatic" now.

As for the chip in the key, I believe the immobilizer is in the car, but the car must sense the chip in the key (some sort of transponder, I would imagine) to be able to start. Expensive keys, though...

Yeah, I see that bit about "automatic" now.

As for the chip in the key, I believe the immobilizer is in the car, but the car must sense the chip in the key (some sort of transponder, I would imagine) to be able to start. Expensive keys, though...

The whole system is called immobilizer ;) That box in the car is called an immobilizer module, which is generating a magnetic field (when you turn the key to "ON" position) to induce an electric current in the circuit located in the key. That circuit then sends a code back to the module and module "unlocks" either an injection or an ignition sequence. Or both.

Sweet and simple :lol: