New wheel for a 08 corolla

Evangelous

Hello everyone I'm new here and this place is the only place I know to find some answers. I bought me a new 2008 Toyota corolla about 2 month ago and I want to know 18 inch wheel will work, but I already know it can fit on it. I'm not really sure if any thing will go wrong trying to drive with bigger size wheel. I really want to get it but I don't want to cause any trouble for the car. If you guy have any tips or ideas I really appreciated. Thanks!

The car still have its original 15 inch stock wheel on it.

Congratulations! The new Corollas are wonderful cars!

In response to your question: according to DiscountTire.com, yes, you can fit an 18 x 7.5 wheel on your car.

Some info on getting bigger wheels/tires for any car:

Plus sizing is one of the easiest ways to achieve enhanced performance and improve the appearance of your vehicle. In the example below, a 15x7 wheel with a 205/65R-15 tire is considered the O.E. (original equipment) size. Converting to a plus 1 size would mean increasing the wheel diameter by 1" (16x7.5) and selecting an appropriate tire to fit (225/55R-16). Likewise, moving to a plus 2 fitment would result in a 17x8 wheel and a 245/45R-17 tire. It is important to note that although the wheel diameter is increasing, the overall diameter of the tire remains consistent.

kotspacer.gifkotspacer.gifkotspacer.gifplusSizingGraphic.gifkotspacer.gifkotspacer.gifkotspacer.gif

A couple of things happen with the tire to increase performance when we begin to move into plus sizes. First, the tire is wider (section width) and therefore gives us a larger footprint. Second, the sidewall becomes shorter (aspect ratio) and more rigid. The two added together give better lateral stability and increased steering response.

In my opinion, if you want better performance, you should stay with no more than a 17" wheels for that car. The 18" and larger wheels will have a shorter sidewall, which will reduce ride quality, and make the car more susceptible to wheel damage from rough roads. 17" wheels will fill up the wheelwell nicely, and will definitely improve the appearance.

As long as you keep the same overall diameter, it doesn't affect the speedometer/odometer or turns.

I don't think there's going to be significant difference for you because you're not going to be racing your car professionally! The 17" wheels will look great on your car...post before/after pics when you get them!

A lighter wheel is nice, but may be more prone to damage.

Racing wheels are lighter and much more resistant to damage. But I really doubt that you'r going to get a real racing wheels. Because today there are a lot of alloy wheels, but the cheaper wheels are really weak and they can deform easily if you bump a pothole or something. "Real" racing wheels are much harder to deform and they are made of light alloys. And most of them are forged. Lighter wheels increases performance a bit. Because wheels are lighter, so less power is wasted. But increasing diameter will actually reduce the performance, because it increases inertia momentum (which is mass for a rotary motion). Decreasing weight and increasing diameter will reduce performance (not really noticeable though) because inertia momentum is I=mR^2. So weight is not as important as radius. But thats for racing.

Did you ever saw a Formula 1 or Nascar with large diameter wheels? Of course not ;)

For a street driver I suggest tu put "plus" tires (the wider ones). Because it increases the grip. But of course you will burn more fuel. And you will probably need spacers and some bodywork on the front arcs. Dont go crazy with diameter though.. 17" is enough.