Camry Hesitates...

teri_maki

I have a camry 95 about 127k miles on it. Recently had the front exhaust pipe replaced as it was broken and was leaking.

The front pipe comes with the catalyst.

After that I started to have some trouble ...

Cold start is fine and driving around for 5-10 mts it starts to hesitates when cars comes to a halt (like a stop sign or signal light) it also stalls sometimes.

I changed the spark plugs the wires and also cleaned the throtle body...still the same problem

Any ideas ???

Thanks

I had a similar problem last month with my 1998 Camry (106,000 miles), hesitating and even stalling while slowing down to turn or stop. This occurred after driving for 12 to 15 miles. I would have to shift into neutral and keep the RPM's up to avoid stalling. While slowing down, you could see the tach needle swinging up and down.

When I first took it to the shop (a local Toyota dealer), they could not duplicate the problem. But they suspected it was the EGR valve or some other type of sensor. It's fairly expensive to replace these parts and they suggested that I bring it back if the problem returns. Well it did, on the way home from the shop. After testing it for a couple more days and still not being able to duplicate the problem, I told them to proceed with replacing the EGR valve and the coolant temp sensor. Problem solved, and the car has been running fine ever since.

After researching my problem on the internet, including this site, the problem primarily pointed to the EGR valve. However, similar problems occurred with other who had replaced the coolant temp sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your input...After 3 weeks of going back and forth with

the mechanic...the problem is now fixed.

It was a bad ignition coil that was causing this problem.

The mechanic had already tried the sensor and EGR valve...but did

not work.

After more research...here and other sites I asked him to try the

ignition coil and it worked.

Thanks again

• 6 months later...

My 92 LE (156K miles) started to hesitate, then stall after right after gassing up at a name brand gas station. Car ran great up to then. Thought I had gotten some bad gasoline. Replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor - better but still hestitated and often stalled at idle. Was able to re-start most of the time. Car ran fine at hwy speeds, so it seemed that the fuel pump was okay.

Took it to my regular mechanic (ex-BMW) who could not find anything wrong - no codes, etc. He cleaned out the throttle body, added gas treatment & agreed that gas may have been bad. But car still hesitated and stalls. A day later, it stalled on highway - BAD!. Couldn't restart it.

After towing it home, I did some web searches on Camry stalling. Found that some changed EGR valve, IAC, etc.

One car review site indicated that a known weaknesses in Camry's was the ignition coil, and also mention in the toyotaowners UK site.

I checked my ignition coil and found presence of carbon tracks - a definite indication of hi-voltage arcing.

Bought a replacement coil for about $72, pulled the distributor & replaced the ignition coil. Car started right up, purrs at idle, and runs like new!

Theoretically, the coil could be replaced w/o pulling the distributor since it is mounted outside of the distributor body by 4 small Phillips screws, but its awkward. Just mark lines on the engine block next to distributor flange for re-alignment, and remember the direction of rotor/shaft, It can only be replaced in 1 of 2 ways due to the 'paddle' on the end of shaft (as opposed to a gear). There are two 12mm bolts, at 10 o'clock and 6 o'clock, holding the distributor to the block.

Remove the distributor by small twists side-side while pulling out slowly - the straighter you pull the better else it will get cocked in the block. Clearance is tight. While you have the distr. body out, replace the oil seal on the shaft and if needed, the distributor cap seal. Using clean rag, clean out the all mating surfaces and hole in the block before re-installing.

Thanks to all who have shared info on Camry Stalls.