1997 Camry, grumbling on wet highways

amlitnod

An odd grumbling and vibration coming from beneath the car when driving it on soaking wet roadways. I have heard this on four different occasions during the past year.

Hope its just a cover come loose!!!

Is it during stopping or just driving? Do you have TRAC?

Just during driving and Extreme Rain coming down, wippers were on high and barelly doing the job.

Had it happen on a very slushy/wet snow road as well.

I should mention as well that engine runs fine but very little to no power gets to the wheels.

Yes on trac. its the XLE model.

It's almost definitely the TRAC system. It works by retarding power to the wheels that are slipping or by applying the brakes/abs system, depending on the circumstances. It's not a problem; it's normal operating conditions. Your description of the conditions and the car's performance are textbook for TRAC.

The good news is that Toyota now has VSC...much better than TRAC, and some of the high end models have VDIM which is MUCH better than VSC.

It's almost definitely the TRAC system. It works by retarding power to the wheels that are slipping or by applying the brakes/abs system, depending on the circumstances. It's not a problem; it's normal operating conditions. Your description of the conditions and the car's performance are textbook for TRAC.

The good news is that Toyota now has VSC...much better than TRAC, and some of the high end models have VDIM which is MUCH better than VSC.

Thanks, Makes perfect sense.

Another tidbit to add is that is all cases the car was going straight, and this last time I had to coast over to the shoulder to "let under the car dry" for 1-2 minutes before it would allow power to the wheels again. I've had the car the last 7 of its 10 years and it only started to do it this last year.

I have heard this model has a transmission with something called "final drive" not sure what that is or something to point the finger at.

thanks again

How's the tread on your tires? The system kicks in when it senses the tires slipping. It may be time for new rubber....

I don't think the transmission would have anything to do with that issue.

How's the tread on your tires? The system kicks in when it senses the tires slipping. It may be time for new rubber....

I don't think the transmission would have anything to do with that issue.

Brand New rubber.

Look what else I found... deja-vue...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...articleId=44023

snippet copied from about 1/4 down the page...

One involved a grumbling noise and vibration when the Camry was driven on soaked or flooded roadways. We heard this noise, which was dependent on engine revs, on four occasions during our first year with the car. ...