Multiple trouble Codes..ECM?

Tlander

I have recently purchased a 94 Corolla DX 1.8L with 111,000k miles and a 4 speed AT; which is throwing multiple trouble codes, at seemingly random times. The previous owners had replaced the Timing belt, the Distributor, and the coolant Temp Sensor all to no avail. I have replaced the fuel filter(as it was the original) and have done a tune up as well with new wires, filters, plugs etc.

The codes which have been obtained were:

14 - Ignitor signal to ECU missing

22 - Water temperature sensor circuit fault

24 - Intake air temperature signal fault

52 - Knock Sensor fault

On one occassion the Overdrive Off light started flashing on and off as i was stopped at a light, it was as if i was pushing the button on and off in rapid succession. As i began to accelerate from the stop the light went out and never came on again, and the trans shifted into overdrive just fine.

When the check engine light isn't on, the car runs really good, aside from some abnormal vibration which appears to be a broken motor or trans mount. Otherwise it really runs well until the check engine light starts coming on, itermittently and whenever it does the engine hesitates, almost stalls etc etc. Then the light may go out for a few seconds or a few minutes and she runs great again.

I'm leaning towards a bad ECM or maybe a bad ground somewhere in the wiring harness? Does anyone know of any common trouble spots in the wiring, or of any known ECM problems with these cars? I've searched extensively on the web and haven't been able to find much info about cars which produce mutiple trouble codes like that, even when some of the sensors in question have already been replaced.

I'm thinking about grabbing a used ECm from a wrecked car in a junkyard to see if that solves this problem because i'd hate to buy a brand new one and then find out that it's a wiring problem after all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I have recently purchased a 94 Corolla DX 1.8L with 111,000k miles and a 4 speed AT; which is throwing multiple trouble codes, at seemingly random times. The previous owners had replaced the Timing belt, the Distributor, and the coolant Temp Sensor all to no avail. I have replaced the fuel filter(as it was the original) and have done a tune up as well with new wires, filters, plugs etc.

The codes which have been obtained were:

14 - Ignitor signal to ECU missing

22 - Water temperature sensor circuit fault

24 - Intake air temperature signal fault

52 - Knock Sensor fault

On one occassion the Overdrive Off light started flashing on and off as i was stopped at a light, it was as if i was pushing the button on and off in rapid succession. As i began to accelerate from the stop the light went out and never came on again, and the trans shifted into overdrive just fine.

When the check engine light isn't on, the car runs really good, aside from some abnormal vibration which appears to be a broken motor or trans mount. Otherwise it really runs well until the check engine light starts coming on, itermittently and whenever it does the engine hesitates, almost stalls etc etc. Then the light may go out for a few seconds or a few minutes and she runs great again.

I'm leaning towards a bad ECM or maybe a bad ground somewhere in the wiring harness? Does anyone know of any common trouble spots in the wiring, or of any known ECM problems with these cars? I've searched extensively on the web and haven't been able to find much info about cars which produce mutiple trouble codes like that, even when some of the sensors in question have already been replaced.

I'm thinking about grabbing a used ECm from a wrecked car in a junkyard to see if that solves this problem because i'd hate to buy a brand new one and then find out that it's a wiring problem after all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!