94 Corolla - Changing stop light

maysap

Hi,

I have 94 corolla and the stop light is out on the left side. I bought the lamp but could not find out how to change it.

I opened the trunck and loosened the carpet to see whether I can replace the light from behind. I see the electrical cable and the connector. I removed the connector but looks like the hole is too small for the bulb to come out. I tried turning the cable to see whether bulb comes out that way but no luck.

Am I doing something wrong? I hope I donot have to open the light covers from outside to change the bulb as that would be bigger job.

Would appreciate any help. I changed both the headlights few months back and that was pretty simple. So hoping to do the same with the burnt out Stop light.

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have 94 corolla and the stop light is out on the left side. I bought the lamp but could not find out how to change it.

I opened the trunck and loosened the carpet to see whether I can replace the light from behind. I see the electrical cable and the connector. I removed the connector but looks like the hole is too small for the bulb to come out. I tried turning the cable to see whether bulb comes out that way but no luck.

Am I doing something wrong? I hope I donot have to open the light covers from outside to change the bulb as that would be bigger job.

Would appreciate any help. I changed both the headlights few months back and that was pretty simple. So hoping to do the same with the burnt out Stop light.

Thanks in advance

on the left side of your lamp(inside the trunk) there should be two black plastic clips , first remove the single nut almost centered on the lamps metal housing , now on the outside on the right side of your left lamp (outside trunk) remove those two black bolts , now push the 2 black pens outwards towards the driver side of the car . viola!!! its free and you can replace the desired bulb

Hi,

Thanks in advance

On the USDM 93-97 Corollas , the tail lights just pulled straight out. However, go to your local auto store and buy a Chilton or Haynes.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had to do this two times. First time was a learning experience and second was much easier. First attempt took about 15 minutes. Second took about 5 minutes. Once you have the tools assembled it is very quick and easy.

You will first need to get under the cloth covering in the trunk near the light. I used screw drivers and pliers to pop out the plastic plugs holding it in place.

Will then need to use a 10 mm wrench to loosen the nut and remove it. Nut is on the side panel. On the model I was working on there were two phillips screws in the light fixture outside of the trunk toward the middle of the car. These have to be removed.

Looking in the trunk you will see wires coming out of the light fixture. Follow those into the trunk and you will see a little knob on the plug pushed into a hole and holding the plug in place. I pushed this through the hole so there would be more play in the wire as the light fixture is pulled out.

Once the plug knob is released, the nut is removed and the two phillips screws are removed, the light fixture will slide back and expose the bulb locations. This took a little playing to get it the first time. There are two metal rods on the side and a plastic sliding clip under the light fixture that all release with a little pressure. I jiggled it a bit before getting them to release.

There are 4 bulbs so you will want to know what area to check before pulling the fixture. The bulbs are released by twisting the fixture to line up the hole with the fixture tab.

Some of the bulbs have two bumps on the side and one is lower on the bulb than the other. Will want to slide the lower bump into the slot with the lower seat. It is pretty obvious with just a quick look.

It is reassembled in the reverse steps. Slide the fixture in place. Put in the phillips screws. Attach the 10 mm nut. Put the plug bump back in its holding hole. Put the cloth covering in place and push the plastic plugs back in place. One caution is to not tighten the 10 mm nut too much. A little more than finger tight is about right. If too tight it will not release and will unscrew the bolt from its plastic holder.

My bulb did not work the first time. Went back and examined the bulb socket and found a contact had been bent so it did not reach the bulb contact. Replaced the socket and it worked fine. Replacing the socket is another story.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for those instructions! Following them, changing the bulb was quick and easy.

I recently had to do this two times. First time was a learning experience and second was much easier. First attempt took about 15 minutes. Second took about 5 minutes. Once you have the tools assembled it is very quick and easy.

You will first need to get under the cloth covering in the trunk near the light. I used screw drivers and pliers to pop out the plastic plugs holding it in place.

Will then need to use a 10 mm wrench to loosen the nut and remove it. Nut is on the side panel. On the model I was working on there were two phillips screws in the light fixture outside of the trunk toward the middle of the car. These have to be removed.

Looking in the trunk you will see wires coming out of the light fixture. Follow those into the trunk and you will see a little knob on the plug pushed into a hole and holding the plug in place. I pushed this through the hole so there would be more play in the wire as the light fixture is pulled out.

Once the plug knob is released, the nut is removed and the two phillips screws are removed, the light fixture will slide back and expose the bulb locations. This took a little playing to get it the first time. There are two metal rods on the side and a plastic sliding clip under the light fixture that all release with a little pressure. I jiggled it a bit before getting them to release.

There are 4 bulbs so you will want to know what area to check before pulling the fixture. The bulbs are released by twisting the fixture to line up the hole with the fixture tab.

Some of the bulbs have two bumps on the side and one is lower on the bulb than the other. Will want to slide the lower bump into the slot with the lower seat. It is pretty obvious with just a quick look.

It is reassembled in the reverse steps. Slide the fixture in place. Put in the phillips screws. Attach the 10 mm nut. Put the plug bump back in its holding hole. Put the cloth covering in place and push the plastic plugs back in place. One caution is to not tighten the 10 mm nut too much. A little more than finger tight is about right. If too tight it will not release and will unscrew the bolt from its plastic holder.

My bulb did not work the first time. Went back and examined the bulb socket and found a contact had been bent so it did not reach the bulb contact. Replaced the socket and it worked fine. Replacing the socket is another story.