How to remove safely the dirt from a car

nieuwe%20service%20apenheul.gif

I would like to share with you some things that I learned with time on how to remove safely the dirt from a car.

The first enemy of the paint are the bird droppings, that are very acidic (pH 3.5 to 4.5). Pigeon and gull droppings are the worst. When bird droppings fall on the paint, the acid begins to burn and etch the paint's surface. The longer the bird droppings remain, the greater the damage. Moreover bird droppings contain micro-pebbles that they eat to crush the food. You can remove the bird droppings rubbing gently by hand with cotton-wool bathed with water. The result of bird droppings damage is a dimple in the paint surface, often as large as an inch or more in diameter. This damage can easily be repaired polishing the paint, after having washed the area with high pressure water, better if warm.

The second enemy of the paint is the tree sap, that if hardened could be very difficult to remove. I've found that the best way to remove tree sap from the paint without damaging the finish is to wet the sap spots with cotton-wool bathed with oil painting white spirit, waiting about three minutes and then rubbing gently by hand. This procedure removes perfectly paper decals also. I can guaranty that white spirit is absolutely neuter on the paint. White spirit is in fact an ingredient of car waxes and polishes and naturally you can use it to dilute them.

The third enemy of the paint are the bugs splats, because the internal fluids of the bugs are very acidic. Moreover the impact of the exoskeleton of the bugs can chip your paint. To remove safely bugs splats I recommend to use a specific citrus-based cleaning solution that gently removes even the most stubborn bug remains without harming paint. For bugs with a little extra grip, agitate the paint with a paint-safe insect sponge.

In general to remove organic dirt (bugs, mud, salt...) use soapy water, better if warm and at high pressure, while to remove petrochemical dirt (wax, grease, oil, tar, silicone, adhesives, gas residues... ) use cotton-wool bathed with white spirit, rubbing gently by hand.

I always have in the trunk a mini plastic bottle of water, a mini plastic bottle of white spirit and cotton wool, so if there are bird droppings and tree sap spots I can remove them as soon as possible.

I absolutely advice against alcohol, that if left on a painted surface for more than a minute can crack the paint top coat (it happened to me on my previous car when I was trying to remove tree sap with alcohol from the bonnet... ). Never and never use alcohol, because it is a very aggressive chemical product!!!

You can find some of these and other informations at Autopia.

For dashboard, plastics and glasses cleaning I simply use a damp synthetic chamois leather. For vents and switches cleaning I use a soft and wide dry paintbrush. If necessary and where possible, I gently use a worn toothbrush also.

nofear.gif

Alberto.