'96 Corolla stereo replacement

LynchMob

I just bought a '96 Corolla and i am in love. I this car was a woman, It'd be a virgin! Perfect inside and out, Perfect under the hood, PUREL AMAZING!!

Anyways, I want to drop a new stereo into it and can't figure out what to do after i take the two (And only) screws out. They were located under the climate controls. HELP?!?!?!??

I just bought a '96 Corolla and i am in love. I this car was a woman, It'd be a virgin! Perfect inside and out, Perfect under the hood, PUREL AMAZING!!

Anyways, I want to drop a new stereo into it and can't figure out what to do after i take the two (And only) screws out. They were located under the climate controls. HELP?!?!?!??

Hey there-

After taking out the screws, pull out all the knobs from your climate control, There should be four of them. You need to put a srewdriver type tool, from the top, above your stock radio and pry out the plastic that goes all the way around the stock radio and houses the air vents. (I used painters spatulla, the kind used for laying down spackling paste on walls.) kinda like this one: http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/224004/template/spackle.JPG A screwdriver wil leave dents in your dash that wont come out, the larger area of the spackling tool fixes the problem.

The molded plastic you will be prying off is stuck in there good. So pry hard, and dont fear of breaking it.

As you pry it off, the A/C button will pop out with it, unplug that and set the plastic aside.

The Radio will have four hex srews around it, use either a screwdriver or a hex bit. Carefull pulling them out, because they may fall behind the dash and then your S.O.L.

Once all screws have been taken out, pull out the radio and disconnect all the wires out from behind it. Also unscrew the brackets that are to the left and right of the radio. Youll need these brackets for later, dont worry about mixing them up they are labeled "L" and "R". Some aftermarket Radios, have screw holes on the left and right sides that match up perfectly with these brackets.

Put in new radio following these instructions in reverse, (using an aftermarket radio harness like this: http://store.yahoo.com/mobile-emotions/19totw1.html) and your set!

First, Thank you for answering so quickly to the new guy msg.. Second, Thank you for the excellent help!! The spatula tip rocks. I plan to try it tomorrow with my other problem (See future post about patch painting).

Thanks man!!

Hey there-

After taking out the screws, pull out all the knobs from your climate control, There should be four of them. You need to put a srewdriver type tool, from the top, above your stock radio and pry out the plastic that goes all the way around the stock radio and houses the air vents. (I used painters spatulla, the kind used for laying down spackling paste on walls.) kinda like this one: http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/224004/template/spackle.JPG A screwdriver wil leave dents in your dash that wont come out, the larger area of the spackling tool fixes the problem.

The molded plastic you will be prying off is stuck in there good. So pry hard, and dont fear of breaking it.

As you pry it off, the A/C button will pop out with it, unplug that and set the plastic aside.

The Radio will have four hex srews around it, use either a screwdriver or a hex bit. Carefull pulling them out, because they may fall behind the dash and then your S.O.L.

Once all screws have been taken out, pull out the radio and disconnect all the wires out from behind it. Also unscrew the brackets that are to the left and right of the radio. Youll need these brackets for later, dont worry about mixing them up they are labeled "L" and "R". Some aftermarket Radios, have screw holes on the left and right sides that match up perfectly with these brackets.

Put in new radio following these instructions in reverse, (using an aftermarket radio harness like this: http://store.yahoo.com/mobile-emotions/19totw1.html) and your set!