Electrical system on Highlander question

Hello. I am hoping someone can help me. Last September, we had a freak storm here in VA. Naturally, the day started out beautifully, so I rolled my windows down and opened the sunroof, then entered a store to do some quick shopping for the dogs and cats - hence the login name.

Of course, the storm hit and no one was allowed out of the store until it was over. I got back to my beloved 2004 Highlander (limited edition in case that matters) to discover the interior was soaked.

I did not think anything of the water since it really only seemed to have soaked the leather interior and the carpets. Yeah, big mistake. I turned the car on and my Navigation system displayed a "system cannot connect" error. Then, the check engine light came on. Essentially, while driving, the navigation system map pops on and off, the heat goes on an off as does the air, the navigator works and then doesn't, and, sometimes, the radio turns on and off.

So, I took it to the dealer. He pulled the front seat out and discovered at least a gallon of water had soaked into the "well" located under the seat. He stated that I needed a new navigation system at 5k. The insurance company helped me pay the price of the new system.

Drove the car off the lot, and, viola, the same error and problems occurred even with the new part. Now, the dealer states another part seems to be at issue and I will need to replace it as well if I wish to fix the problem. The new part + labor also runs around 2 to 5k. When I asked why he did not know that more than one part would be effected by the water getting to the navigation system under the driver's seat, he gave me the run around and asked to speak to my insurance adjuster. Apparently, he felt I could not possibly understand the technical side of this issue.

So, I have decided to ask other Toyota owners for their opinions / advice. Anyone out there ever had a problem with the electrical system on a Highlander or any of the newer Toyota models? Did you run into a multiple part replacement issue? Also, I really need to understand why the dealer did not think that more than one part would have been effected by the water issue when he wrote up the original insurance quote? Had he written it up with a potential for many parts to be effected, I would not be as hesitant to give him more money to fix this issue. But, my fear is that after I pay for the new part, which is apparently located behind the dash, that he will find another and then another part to fix. Frankly, at the five thousand a pop to fix, I could buy the newest Highlander. ;-)

I love my Highlander, but not that much. Any thoughts?