Brake Light on Dash

97hoopty

Have a 1997 Corolla DX, had brakes done a year ago. All of a sudden, the brake light is lit on the dashboard, and I recently had to have a battery replaced b/c the lights were stuck on and I failed to see it. The brake light goes on and off, making brake lights go on and off constantly. What could possibly be wrong before I head to a mechanic? Is it maybe a fuse, or that I need brake fluid. I'm not the car's original owner, no manual in the car; by the way, where would I find the reserve for the brake fluid?

• 3 weeks later...

It actually sounds like an electrical problem, as long as the brakes are working fine on your Corolla. If you still want to find/check the reservoir, its usually on the drivers side between the engine and the cabin (aka next to the firewall).

Usually a broken wire in the wire loom that is in the trunk that feeds the trunk lid. It is a usually a black corrugated appearing tube. You have to open it up and check all the wires and reconnect any broken ones. You can use wire nuts, no need to solder.

If it's a broken wire it will be in the loom. It's a usually a black piece of plastic that looks like a snake. You have to open it or split it to get to the wires. As to other causes, it could be a number of things too detailed to go into.