My '90 Corolla DX Sedan

RichieKid

Here are pics of my very first car, I've had it for almost a year.

It's a Toyota Corolla DX 1990 AE92. The engine is the 4AFE.

It has 159k miles on the dash (150k when i got it).

I'm not much of a car guy but now that i have this car I've been learning all about parts and maintenance.

much like no guy is a father until he has a child to tend to.

PICS:

Sideview

SSPX0094.jpg

Dash

SSPX0095.jpg

Back wheel

SSPX0098.jpg

Front Wheel

SSPX0099.jpg

Posing

SSPX0102.jpg

SSPX0101.jpg

Interior

SSPX0096.jpg

The car sat around in the sun for a while before i bought it, which explains the paint damage.

I'm not planning on buying a new car when this one still has potential. Any thoughts on things i can fix?

KNOWN PROBLEMS :

1) Starter issues (Fixed 9-16-10 @ 2:00AM)

2) Breaks Squeal (might be the pads, i'm not sure yet.)

3) Timing belt (now this one i'm not sure about, they tell me that it's the timing belt because when i turn the steering wheel towards any extreme (left or right) i get this annoying sound)

4)The window tint has faded to a purple/blue

5) The paint has faded/burned in some places

6) Are the lights supposed to be so dim? I Find issues driving at night because i simply can't see the lane dividers. In my mom's 09 civic, i have no problems.

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT IT :

1) Great mileage, my cousin has a 04 acura TL with the same mileage.

2) Nice MPG, 20 dollars of gas last me a week

3) Doesn't cost alot to fix

4) A/C Works way more than i want it to (really freaking cold!)

5) The tran. must be good (shifts gears with no problem, yes it is automatic)

6) The interior is clean

I am trying my best to keep the car in a very healthy state. I only make about 100$ a week since i'm in college.

Any ideas on what i can do to make the car not only LOOK better but breathe freely and preserve itself?

You have purchased a good brand, Toyota. Make sure all of the fluids are kept in good condition. oil, transmission, brake fluid, steering fluid, coolant, battery. Looks like the wheels are worth more than the car. They are very nice. Squealing of a belt at the extremes of turning is probably a belt (not the timing belt). Timing belt should be changed at the frequency listed in the manual. Make sure inflation of tires is proper, and the spare. Squealing brakes may be due to worn or just normal. CHeck the brakes for amount of pad left. Keep wiper blades working good. Probably replace each year especially if out in the hot sun a lot. Put a little grease on the wheel studs (that the nuts screw on to) so taking on and off is easier. Don;t worry about the paint. Repainting is expensive or not very good. When you get a nice job after graduation you can sell this one and et something nicer. Rotate the tires every 6K miles so they last better and wear more evenly. For lights- try replacing the bulbs (original equipment is good enough) or see if the lens is fogged. If so, you can get a liquid with an abrasive that with a little elbow grease you can buff the lenses to a clearer condition allowing more light through.

• 1 month later...

You have purchased a good brand, Toyota. Make sure all of the fluids are kept in good condition. oil, transmission, brake fluid, steering fluid, coolant, battery. Looks like the wheels are worth more than the car. They are very nice. Squealing of a belt at the extremes of turning is probably a belt (not the timing belt). Timing belt should be changed at the frequency listed in the manual. Make sure inflation of tires is proper, and the spare. Squealing brakes may be due to worn or just normal. CHeck the brakes for amount of pad left. Keep wiper blades working good. Probably replace each year especially if out in the hot sun a lot. Put a little grease on the wheel studs (that the nuts screw on to) so taking on and off is easier. Don;t worry about the paint. Repainting is expensive or not very good. When you get a nice job after graduation you can sell this one and et something nicer. Rotate the tires every 6K miles so they last better and wear more evenly. For lights- try replacing the bulbs (original equipment is good enough) or see if the lens is fogged. If so, you can get a liquid with an abrasive that with a little elbow grease you can buff the lenses to a clearer condition allowing more light through.