97' Toyota- disappearing coolant

wham48

I was in a front end collision last month which led to a new waterpump and radiator. Ever since then my coolant has been "disappearing" (also the temperature gauge in my car doesn't work). Initially I noticed the water boiling out of the reservoir, so my mechanic put in a new thermostat. However I'm still loosing half a tank of coolant every 50 or so miles. We have also looked for any visible leaks--their are none; and the pressure is fine. Any suggestions?

I was in a front end collision last month which led to a new waterpump and radiator. Ever since then my coolant has been "disappearing" (also the temperature gauge in my car doesn't work). Initially I noticed the water boiling out of the reservoir, so my mechanic put in a new thermostat. However I'm still loosing half a tank of coolant every 50 or so miles. We have also looked for any visible leaks--their are none; and the pressure is fine. Any suggestions?

What about the radiator cap or hoses. They could be leaking only when the pressure is up after the car has heated up. Alos, is there white smoke coming out of the tail pipe? If so the coolant could be leaking into the combustion areas of the engine and going out the tail pipe. That would be very obvious however. Clearly you are loosing coolant so it has to be going somewhere. Is there any leakage from the heater core? That too would have an obvious effect inside the car. There would be a sweet smell in the car. And the rug would be wet near the front passenger's feet.

• 1 month later...

Wham48 is correct, you might notice a white color smoke coming out of the tail-pipe if it's the head gasket (your cat may be hiding this though) to see if you have a heater core leak make sure you flip your interior heater on an switch the temp from cool to hot. run it a little while and on the passenger floor board you may find evidence of moisture. Last point, pull the spark plugs and read them to see if you have evidence of contamination. pull the oil dipstick and do the same, the oil will be milky white if the coolant has contaminated it.

• 7 months later...

hi there,I have a 95 Toyota Corolla, and I had it checked for a coolant leak and the dealership said it just needed a new rad cap. But this has not rectified the situation. There is no evidence of coolant leaking to the ground. Also there is no heat when the coolant level is low. I have added coolant the reservoir and it disappears shortly after. I am looking for some help in solving this problem.

Thanks.

-britanny

Toyota corolla coolant & serpentine belt issue

• 7 months later...

check the oil level and consistency.

open the oil filler cap and check for gunky mayo residue around the cap

sounds like its a head gasket if you cant see signs of a leak.

get it looked at sooner rather than later otherwise it could be new engine.