94 camry coolant leak

anglosax

Hi

Got a unusual problem with 94 camry V6 - looses 1 gal coolant in a week of town driving - checked all the hoses, pump, heater and radiator OK - leak comes from firewall side of engine under the intake manifold - and drips down engine block around the transaxle/ engine block joint. I read somewhere about intake heat bypass lines ?? cannot see where they connect to the block or what type of seal is there pipe to block - anyone had this problem before i start taking things apart or cook the engine

• 1 month later...

Hi

Got a unusual problem with 94 camry V6 - looses 1 gal coolant in a week of town driving - checked all the hoses, pump, heater and radiator OK - leak comes from firewall side of engine under the intake manifold - and drips down engine block around the transaxle/ engine block joint. I read somewhere about intake heat bypass lines ?? cannot see where they connect to the block or what type of seal is there pipe to block - anyone had this problem before i start taking things apart or cook the engine

I dont know if you fixed this yet but if you haven't one possible cause is a split hose... The v6 has a coolant hose that runs front to rear down the valley between the heads on top of the engine UNDER the intake. If this hose has split it is leaking there & since the engine has a slight tilt toward the firewall it leaks down the "back" of the engine(right side). Also, the thermostat is at the rear of the engine & it's possible the o-ring that seals the thermostat has ruptured. My guess is you'll have to remove the intake(two parts) & replace the hose. Good Luck