Interface Kit for iPod

mbotticelli

Hello

I purchased a 2010 Camry SE with AM/FM/CD Player w/Satellite Capability, Auxilliary Audio Jack and Six Speakers. This was the stereo that came with the car. The car did not come with the iPod interface from the factory so when I was at the dealership, they said no problem we can order the kit and install it.

So I also purchased the Interface Kit for iPod as an accessary. It is a Toyota part and Toyota service had to install this kit. There is an iPod proprietary connector cable in my glove compartment. This is where I plug my iPod into.

Regarding my iPod, I have a 2nd Generation iPod Nano 8Gb. According to the Interface Kit for iPOD Owner's Manual, my iPod is compatible with the interface.

When you plug in the iPod, you must use the Satellite functions so I select the SAT connection on my stereo controls. Here is what works: The iPod plays whatever was last being played; I can change volume up/down, skip forward and back on the songs in the current playlist or category the iPod is in; I can fast-forward/rewind on the song playing, I can even random play(Shuffle on/off) on the current playlist or category the iPod is in. All of that works and the sound is very good. You set the volume on the iPod to highest setting and then you can control the volume from your stereo volume.

Here is what does NOT work which in my opiniom makes this kit useless.

None of the Music Search Features work. If you have your songs in categories like playlists,(which is most iPods) or you have the standard categories like artist, album, genre, the stereo controls do not work so you can select these. According to the owners manual you use the (Type-Folder Up/down) but and it will and go to any of these top categories, but then you are supposed to hit the preset 6 button (Enter) and this supposed to then list the playlists you have or list the artists you have or albums you have, etc. But it does not recognize the preset 6 as the enter. In fact there is no combination of buttons (I have tried them all) that works.

The only way to get to another play list to work or another category to work is to turn your stereo off, disconnect your iPod from the adapter, and then use the iPod track wheel to get where you want and then plug the iPod back in and then it will play where you left off. Not very usable at all and pretty difficult when driving.

I brought it back to my dealership and they are looking into it because they plugged one of the tech's iPod's in and that shows the same symptons. The tech thinks there is a problem with my stereo so the service manager is calling Toyota to see what to do. The interface kit is directly from Toyota. I bought through them and they installed it. The service and dealership have been really great and have been helpful and I don't want to misconstrue this as complaint against them because it is not. I just want to know what Toyota can do to help this problem.

Also the manual for the interface kit clearly show instructions for doing searching on playlist or any of the categories, so the features are there. I think there is a problem with either the interface kit installed or the stereo in the car. Without the search capability, it really makes the kit useless. Has anyone experienced this with their Camry and if so, did you get it resolved or corrected? If so how. Thanks

Hello, has anyone purchase a 2010/2011 Camry SE and with that purchase also purchased the Interface Kit for iPod? And if so is it working correctly? Are all of the preset buttons working like they are supposed to. The presets are supposed to select the playlists and other categories so you can play your different playlists if you want to. I did and it is not working. I am trying to determine if this is specific to my car or a bigger problem with the interface kit. My dealership is still trying to figure it out. Thanks