Paseo untamed - can someone help?

wadeblues

I just bought this Paseo. The idle fluctuates when cold between 1200-2000 rpms. Once the car is warm, it seems to quiet down, but still idles between 1000 - 1200 rpms. It will also lurch when at a stoplight - more pronounced when the a/c is on, but still when not on.

When cold, the idle sounds like it is gasping for air. It is a regular pattern (up, down, up, down, up, down).

There is a (fakey) K+N air filter and enlarged exhaust, but I don't know if any other engine modifications were done. It is not a cold air intake, just a larger tube basically. Could this be causing the problem, the air intake or the exhaust, or both? If not, I have read maybe the battery connections, fuel filter, air intake leak, or vacuum problem. No problem on the first two, but I don't know how to check the latter two problems.

Oh, also the brakes seem to be not grabbing well, and they were just serviced. Does this indicate a vacuum problem on this car?

Can anyone help? Thanks, Wade

I thought I would reply on the forums, just incase anyone else has similar questions...

To reset the ECU, best bet is to disconnect the battery, then leave a couple of minutes - press the brake pedal to get rid of any charge in the system, and that should have done it.

I don't know if this helps or not, but the speedometer reading is pulled up from an increase in rpms, and the brakes are very tempermental. Does this all indicate a vacuum problem?

Wade

What do you mean by the speedo statement? is that different.

I would not say the brakes are related to the intake at all..