ABS Light Always On

Luc

Hi to all you Gurus.

I'm new to the board. It's overwhelming. You guys rock! Its a very useful board and I've already hacked at my Corolla with some of the suggestions found here.

I looked all over for something on this, and found the parts listing but not what I need to know.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?cont...a_early_abs_ecu

The Beast: 1992 Corolla Wagon. Automatic, mileage: 275,000.

The ABS light stays on. Toyota told me it would cost about $1800 to repair. Since the car is driven only by me - and not used a lot, I would like to skip the repair or do it myself if I can find the right part. The car runs beautifully and the brakes work fine without the ABS. However, I can't pass inspection with the ABS light on.

I took the car to a local garage for a second opinion. All the wheel sensors are fine, they also determined its the ABS ECU. They could not test this however without a known good ABS ECU.

My question: Where is the ABS ECU (I think I might know where it is) and how do I go about removing and replacing it?

Hi to all you Gurus.

I'm new to the board. It's overwhelming. You guys rock! Its a very useful board and I've already hacked at my Corolla with some of the suggestions found here.

I looked all over for something on this, and found the parts listing but not what I need to know.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?cont...a_early_abs_ecu

The Beast: 1992 Corolla Wagon. Automatic, mileage: 275,000.

The ABS light stays on. Toyota told me it would cost about $1800 to repair. Since the car is driven only by me - and not used a lot, I would like to skip the repair or do it myself if I can find the right part. The car runs beautifully and the brakes work fine without the ABS. However, I can't pass inspection with the ABS light on.

I took the car to a local garage for a second opinion. All the wheel sensors are fine, they also determined its the ABS ECU. They could not test this however without a known good ABS ECU.

My question: Where is the ABS ECU (I think I might know where it is) and how do I go about removing and replacing it?

I don't know about a 92 corolla but on most cars its on the HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit). the thing with lines coming from the master cylinder.

I don't know about a 92 corolla but on most cars its on the HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit). the thing with lines coming from the master cylinder.

Not so.

Corrola sometimes puts the ABS ECU inside the dash of the front passenger side. Depends on if the vehicle is TMC or TMM produced.

There must be a manual for this ABS ECU somewheres.

Have I stumped the forum?