Diagnostic Charges

noramor

My son recently saw the engine warning light go on and took the 2000 Corolla to the dealer. They charged $65 to diagnose (get the code) and tell him it needed a VSV valve. Total cost for part and service: $169.97 Canadian. Plus the $65 diagonsis fee. Total $234.97

He originally took the car to the dealer to check out his left turn signal (only left) which would flash intermittently. This was not a bulb issue but required a whole new switch column "switch dimmer)--$293.

Could someone tell me if these prices are reasonable? Is this diagnosis charge absolutely necessary? What happens if you operate the car with a faulty VSV valve?

Thanks

Noramor

My son recently saw the engine warning light go on and took the 2000 Corolla to the dealer. They charged $65 to diagnose (get the code) and tell him it needed a VSV valve. Total cost for part and service: $169.97 Canadian. Plus the $65 diagonsis fee. Total $234.97

He originally took the car to the dealer to check out his left turn signal (only left) which would flash intermittently. This was not a bulb issue but required a whole new switch column "switch dimmer)--$293.

Could someone tell me if these prices are reasonable? Is this diagnosis charge absolutely necessary? What happens if you operate the car with a faulty VSV valve?

Thanks

Noramor

He could have taken the car to any parts place (like AutoZone) and they would have pulled the trouble code for him free of charge. If the code indicated that he needed the valve, they would have gladly sold him one and he could have changed it himself or had somebody else do it. For a lot less than $235 I'm sure. The stalk switch could be found at a junkyard for maybe $50.

Yes, I guess these charges are reasonable for a dealership. As for the diagnosis charge, some shops will waive that if you allow them to do the repair. I don't know what a VSV does, but it probably has something to do with emission controls.

He could have taken the car to any parts place (like AutoZone) and they would have pulled the trouble code for him free of charge. If the code indicated that he needed the valve, they would have gladly sold him one and he could have changed it himself or had somebody else do it. For a lot less than $235 I'm sure. The stalk switch could be found at a junkyard for maybe $50.

Yes, I guess these charges are reasonable for a dealership. As for the diagnosis charge, some shops will waive that if you allow them to do the repair. I don't know what a VSV does, but it probably has something to do with emission controls.

Thanks Junebug. In the future this is what we'll do. Maybe with the dwindling auto sales recently the dealers have to get their money anyway they can--by hitting consumers at the service end.