Power Steering Leak in 97 Camry

Kim

Hello, hoping to get some advise on hear. I have a 97 Camry and for the past two weeks I have had to put power steering fluid in every three days. Yesterday I noticed a puddle approx. 8" in diameter under the front left side and one approx. 2" in diameter on the right. Not sure if it's the pump or the lines. Can anyone tell me what the best course of action would be to determine where the problem is?? Thanks.

Your problem is so timely. I had a similar problem that I found to be a leak in the low pressure return line. I have a 2000 Camry with 99K miles. We live in an area where salt is used on the roads in the winter. The metal return line rusted through. Dealer wanted $250 for the parts ( a set of the high and low pressure lines. I went to NAPA and bought a foot length of 3/8 ich ID tubing (I think it is gas line tubing). I used an electric hack saw to cut through the line a couple inches to one side of the leak. Then I put the tubing in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm it up (which expands it). I picked it up with a pliers (since it is hot) you could use gloves if ou choose. And then I quickly slid it onto the return line several inches past the leak. (I used about 6 inch length). I put a clamp at both ends and inserted the other side of the line into the end of the tubing and tightened the clamps. It is a little messy because the steering fluid is leaking all over my hands and arm. I drove the car up on ramps to do the job. I worked great and cost me a total of $10, which includes the cost of the new power steering fluid (which is automatic transmission fluid). It took a little while to get the air purged out of the system and get the level right in the reservior but I'm sure I saved $500 with labor. Maybe this is your problem. Hope this helps. If you are not interesed in getting into this messy job have an independent mechanic do it would probably be the cheapest route. I could od it for you if you are in the vicinity of Grand Island, NY.