Gear shift issue

EPJ

Hi, I just spoke with the dealership regarding my 07 corolla CE, I have noticed by barely bumping the gear shift I can knock it out of drive, so I am very concious of not touching it, today, I didn't touch it at all and it came out of gear, coincidentally as I was tring to get out of the way of a bully driving a 18 wheeler, I didn't even know I was out of gear until I tried to accelerate to get out the road hogs way and it wouldn't accelerate, then I looked at the instrument panel and the tachometer was reaching 5, I had to swerve on to the should at 65 mph, to figure out the gear stick had nudged a hair, has anyone else had a problem, I have had serveral cars in my life, and never had this problem.

Yes, it's the center console, and yes it's automatic, the dealership acted like it was no big deal, and kinda blew me off, which is usually how they always treat a female, unless a purchase is being made. I was told all cars do this, like this was my first car I've ever had or something. I can push the shift with one finger from neutral to drive and back again without touching the release button. But this time I wasn't touching it, I think I hit a bump in the road and it jarred it just enough to take me out of drive, I'm really worried my transmission is going to be shot by the time the warranty runs out.

Hmmm...there could be a problem. You should be able to push it into neutral fairly easily, without hitting the release button, because the release button is just to get it out of park. However, if it's going into neutral without being touched, that could be a real issue.

Some simple things to look for:

1.) Do you keep anything on the center console? Make sure there's nothing that could push against the transmission shifter if you hit a bump or turned a corner.

2.) You could try driving it in a bumpy but safe location (like an empty parking lot) to see if it happens again.

3.) Have you ever checked your transmission fluid? You could have a slow leak.

...I don't think that dealers treat women any differently...I'm female, never had an issue with being treated differently or victimized "because I'm a woman". It would be a dumb move for a dealer to treat a woman badly just because she is a woman because 90% of all car purchases are influenced or made by women.

Hmmm...there could be a problem. You should be able to push it into neutral fairly easily, without hitting the release button, because the release button is just to get it out of park. However, if it's going into neutral without being touched, that could be a real issue.

Some simple things to look for:

1.) Do you keep anything on the center console? Make sure there's nothing that could push against the transmission shifter if you hit a bump or turned a corner.

2.) You could try driving it in a bumpy but safe location (like an empty parking lot) to see if it happens again.

3.) Have you ever checked your transmission fluid? You could have a slow leak.

...I don't think that dealers treat women any differently...I'm female, never had an issue with being treated differently or victimized "because I'm a woman". It would be a dumb move for a dealer to treat a woman badly just because she is a woman because 90% of all car purchases are influenced or made by women.