Dealer refused transmission fluid change

RomanG

I have 2007 Highlander Limited (2006 model) with 130000mi on it. The vehicle was always serviced at the same dealership and is in perfect condition. I wish this vehicle to run another 130000mi. Recently, I asked them to change transmission fluid, and they rejected this service explaining that I might have gear shifting problems in the future. Can someone explain the reason the dealership does not want to mess with transmission? Thank you,

It seems that the dealer refused to change the transmission fluid due to safety concerns. A car expert on YouTube explained that if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed for a long time, it's better to leave it as is. There is a buildup of debris over the years that actually protects the clutch plate. Removing this debris can cause more harm than good. Keeping the original transmission oil in place may cause less harm since it's the manufacturer's original and only a minor issue.

6 hours ago, Ayo said:

It seems that the dealer refused to change the transmission fluid due to safety concerns. A car expert on YouTube explained that if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed for a long time, it's better to leave it as is. There is a buildup of debris over the years that actually protects the clutch plate. Removing this debris can cause more harm than good. Keeping the original transmission oil in place may cause less harm since it's the manufacturer's original and only a minor issue.

The guy that I watch is >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJr30r6RRgw

• Like 1

I heard with CVT transmissions it is recommended or even essential to change the fluid every 30k miles or so. But on a conventional automatic with of that age and mileage I've heard more often than not as @Ayo and the dealership said, best not to change the fluid. Certainly check the level at times.