Dash Kits

I have a white 2007 Rav 4 that I think would look good with wood grain in the dash. I see different kits advertised from $150 to $250 on line but I believe at least some of them are just "stick-ons" that you put over the select pieces in your dash and door rests.

I went to the dealership and talked to the "Accessory Coordinator" and for $595 they have some outfit come in and do it. Actually the same outfit that puts in their security alarms and other accessories. But they do not have the real reddish color that I want. And I think that at that price, it just isn't worth it to me anyway.

Has anyone had this done? Are they separate pieces that replace the original pieces in the dash? Would the Toyota body shop install it if I bought a kit online? I know there are flat, real wood kits and "molded" plastic piece kits. I would go with molded.

Thanks for any info.

Norm

I think almost any kit you could buy, including the Toyota ones, are going to be overlays. Toyota used to have an accessory kit for the wood trim, and it was always an overlay, sometimes real wood, sometimes not.

Check out this site: http://www.exoticwooddash.com/FlatDashTrimKits.aspx

This looks like something you could easily install yourself.

Yeah I've checked out a whole bunch of them online. I just don't see paying $595 to the dealership unless its real pieces, not stick-ons. I don't want stick-ons. What if they start peeling off? That would suck.

Looks like I will probably call the dealership back and find out if they are stick-ons. If they are I'll just forget the whole thing.

Thanks my friend.

Norm

I've never known peeling to be an issue. I've seen some kits that are real wood get discoloration from water or sunlight, but no peeling. You have to realize that they use some pretty serious adhesive with those kits, and they are not likely to peel. You already have a lot of items on your Rav4 that are "stuck-on", and they're pretty permanent. Go look closely at your car: the emblems on the outside, any body side moldings, some interior trim pieces, etc...all "stick-ons" with a 3M type adhesive.

Yeah you are right. But $600 freaking dollars? Everyone's ripping us off and sometimes you have to make a stand.

For instance, I got a bill from the dentist today. $91 for a cleaning. For a cleaning???? They accept your insurance but try to make it up on you in other ways. I'm calling them Monday and firing their asses.

I got the Verizon bill. I only made $2.85 in long distance calls but guess what. $9.99 minimum for long distance. Bills full of this charge, that fee, those bogus surcharges. Screw them! I am getting a 700 minute pre paid long distance phone card for $19.95 which will last me a year then I am calling Verizon and cancelling my long distance with them.

Everyone wants a piece of us and Toyota is no different. You just have to make a stand on principle some times even if you want something.

Sorry for the rant.

Norm

I just found out from a barroom buddy of mine who is the parts manager at a Nissan dealership (ironically across the street from Toyota) who the third party company is that does the dash kits and other accessories for Toyota. They are local and he said if I go directly to them I may save close to half.

I'll have to at least talk to them.

Norm