Fuel Tank Size on 2022 Highlander Hybrid?

Savadab

The specs for the 2022 Highlander Hybrid Limited indicate it has a 17.1-gallon fuel tank. Two days ago, I was coming home from a long trip and watched the "Distance to Empty" go down in line with the miles traveled. By the time I got home, it was down to 5 miles to empty. Yesterday, I filled the tank at a nearby gas station and even topped it off a little (the gas gauge shows above the full line). It only took 13.8 gallons. If the specs are correct, I had 3.3 gallons left. At the 33 mpg I got on the trip that would mean I had ~105 miles remaining on the tank instead of 5.  Either that, or the tank size is really ~14 gallons not 17.1.  

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I correct that the Hybrid Limited has a 17.1 gallon tank? I know there are variables, but a hundred-mile difference is a lot.

• 1 month later...

I tend to believe your estimate more.  I have a 2023 highlander hybrid, I filled up at a 1/4 tank, and using the price I paid for 3/4 of a tankfull, I estimated a full tank at about 13.5 gals, I don't know if that does or doesn't include reserve, so figure no more than another 1/5 gals makes the total of 15 gals max.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 12:02 AM, Savadab said:

The specs for the 2022 Highlander Hybrid Limited indicate it has a 17.1-gallon fuel tank. Two days ago, I was coming home from a long trip and watched the "Distance to Empty" go down in line with the miles traveled. By the time I got home, it was down to 5 miles to empty. Yesterday, I filled the tank at a nearby gas station and even topped it off a little (the gas gauge shows above the full line). It only took 13.8 gallons. If the specs are correct, I had 3.3 gallons left. At the 33 mpg I got on the trip that would mean I had ~105 miles remaining on the tank instead of 5.  Either that, or the tank size is really ~14 gallons not 17.1.  

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I correct that the Hybrid Limited has a 17.1 gallon tank? I know there are variables, but a hundred-mile difference is a lot.

I've driven both cars in the same manner: I almost never fill up until I'm about 20 miles past the gas light.

I believe you're assuming that we can't fully utilise the tank or that the gas light comes on way too soon. But I'm not sure, and I'm not sure either of those are reasonable expectations. Long ago (I can't remember when or why I believe this any longer), I believe I learned that running out of gas is bad for the hybrid engine, so my theory has been that Toyota intentionally sets the gas light so that owners are extremely unlikely to run out of gas.

• Like 1