Small backfire on cold start

dapqam

Have a 2000 Solara 4 cyl with 70K miles. On just the coldest mornings (below 20F) the engine on first start begins to turn over and start and just as I release the starter the engine seems to "pop" slightly. Otherwise it runs beautifully, gets as good gas mileage as ever. Could the pop be from carbon buildup in the cylinders? Is the "pop" a problem or should I just ignore it? It only happens on cold starts in the coldest weather.

After listening to it again it is a noise that happens only when the engine is cold and it occurs as the starter is turned off. Maybe it is a noise related to the starter. Perhaps the only way to tell would be to take it to the mechanic before a really cold night and then start it with him listening. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Engine light does not come on. Engine RPM does not change.

• 4 weeks later...
Have a 2000 Solara 4 cyl with 70K miles. On just the coldest mornings (below 20F) the engine on first start begins to turn over and start and just as I release the starter the engine seems to "pop" slightly. Otherwise it runs beautifully, gets as good gas mileage as ever. Could the pop be from carbon buildup in the cylinders? Is the "pop" a problem or should I just ignore it? It only happens on cold starts in the coldest weather.

I have a "98 4 cylinder camry and I experienced the same exact problem. The car would only make the pop noise when it was very cold outside but besides that it would be fine and turn on normally throughout the rest of the day. I didn't think much of it and by the time i decided to get it looked it, it was warm again and the problem went away completely. I'm not sure at all what it could be, my car right now has 160K on it so since you only have 70K I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We'll see when winter comes around again if I have the same problem i'll get it looked at. To say the truth my car has a habit of fixing itself lol. Alignment was out..then all of a sudden it was fine again, that popping noise then when it got slightly warm and it completely went away. My camry has been a angel to me in the department of reliabililty and i'm sure if you treat yours well it'll reliable as the sun as well. In the past 10 years of ownership and 160K miles later my car has NEVER broken down or not turned on due to mechanical failure of any kind. (knock on wood) And I do put the car through its paces, weather changes in my area throughout a year easily go from the negative temperatures to 100+ and my car is used as a everyday work car so it is almost ran every single day in the worst of weather and driving conditions. Quite literally the car has only ever not turned on twice in the past 10 years, once 5 years after ownership when the battery died, and again very recently 10 years after ownership when the the second battery died.