New to Toyota- help please

michaelp

I just arranged to purchase a 2005 Highlander Limited yesterday. This is my first Toyota and I am replacing a 1999 Chevy Trailblazer.

The car has 18,000 miles on it and appears to be in grat shape. It was a lease turn in and the factory warranty will go to may of 08. It is Toyota Certified.

The dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty called the Certified Platinum warranty. Apparently covers everything (exceptions) up to 7 years or 100K miles-- same as drive train and engine. I realize that it does not cover normal wear items.

The dealer said that this is normally 1250.00 and they are offering it for 960.00.

Is this a good warranty?

Is this a good price?

What should I pay for it?

I sure hope this ends up to be a good car. I have a BMW 325 and I have 120K on it with very few issues. I am hoping for the same with this car.

Is thee anything particular to look for on this car as I go forward?

I was surprised that the heated seats are either on or off-- no other settings.

I thought that this would be a good place to obtain this information.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

It's an excellent warranty, and this is the time to buy it. You can only extend Certification coverage at time of purchase of your vehicle, otherwise you're not eligible. And $960 is a good price. They're probably making about $100...let them make at least that because there's lots of behind the scenes paperwork they have to deal with. And to put it in perspective, if you tried to purchase similar coverage for something like a Mercedes or BMW, that same warranty would probably cost you about $4,000. That says a lot about Toyota's confidence in their product.

Here's a link to facts about Certification service agreements: http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tf...VProtectionPlan

All Toyotas are great cars...much higher quality ratings than even your BMW. Basically, if you think your BMW has been good, you'll really love your Highlander. And the Chevy will just be a distant memory!

Congrats on your new car!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I just arranged to purchase a 2005 Highlander Limited yesterday. This is my first Toyota and I am replacing a 1999 Chevy Trailblazer.

The car has 18,000 miles on it and appears to be in grat shape. It was a lease turn in and the factory warranty will go to may of 08. It is Toyota Certified.

The dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty called the Certified Platinum warranty. Apparently covers everything (exceptions) up to 7 years or 100K miles-- same as drive train and engine. I realize that it does not cover normal wear items.

The dealer said that this is normally 1250.00 and they are offering it for 960.00.

Is this a good warranty?

Is this a good price?

What should I pay for it?

I sure hope this ends up to be a good car. I have a BMW 325 and I have 120K on it with very few issues. I am hoping for the same with this car.

Is thee anything particular to look for on this car as I go forward?

I was surprised that the heated seats are either on or off-- no other settings.

I thought that this would be a good place to obtain this information.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have been driving nothing but Toyota products with one sorry exception since 1974. I currently own three pickups and 2 Sienna vans. Only one of the vans has less than 100,000 miles on it and the mileage varies from 86,000 on one van to 213,000 on one of the pickups. None of them has ever required engine repair or have I had any drive train problems. Almost any financial advisor will tell yu that extended warranties are generally a very poor investment. I've never purchased a new Toyota, all have been used. If they have not been violently abused as on a racing circuit or such use, I would never hesitate to buy any model. My whole family drives Toyotas now and together we own 3 pickups, 3 vans, 1 sedan and only my van has less than 100,000 miles on it. Welcome to what I consider the best family of vehicles on any market. oldjack