07 Corolla CE

Michelle

I've just been told by service dept. that the back brakes and rotors are bad due to a lack of lubrication at factory. This is a new car and I have put 9400 miles on it. how worried should I be and does anyone know what else I should be on the lookout for now. :(

Change pads and rotors. And tell them to clean and lubricate both calipers (the part where caliper connects to a caliper carrier).

But... Actually I think they are trying to get money out of you. Because if brakes aren't lubricated they will stuck when you press the brake pedal and you will hear grinding sound from your rear wheels when driving. If you don't hear that.. well.. you know.. ^_^

Sounds to me more like they're trying to replace them free of charge under the warranty. The bit about "...at the factory" sounds like a clear cut case of a manufacturer's defect. If you're worried about safety, the front brakes are the more important ones.

One thing of note: brakes CAN wear out at 9400 miles, especially if you're guilty of riding the brake. Doesn't happen often, but it's not impossible.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I had them replace the back pads and drums etc as the car is under warranty. They said the front brakes were ok.

When under normal driving conditions there is no riding of the brakes but in Los Angeles (traffic central), I use my brakes as one does not have much choice during the rush hour unless I want to take 3 hours and drive to and from home via the streets :angry:

Anyway, I guess I should plan on replacing the brake pads often.