automatique transmission

bouhamid

Hi

Unfortunately there is no tachometer in my car for me to see the mouvment of the needle but when i feel there is a need for shifting from the sound of the engine, i just release a bit the accelerator which facilitates the shifting. Is that normal?

Thank you so much for your continuous help

• 2 months later...

May not help too much but my 98 GMC Jimmy (which is on its 4th transmission) did this right before it failed totally. Maybe a day later it would not shift at all and the tranny made a horrible winding noise. It was the "sun shield" going out.. Best way to check is to drop the tranny pan and look for metal shards or other crap. If all is well, replace the tranny filter and fill up a half bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix (very good stuff) and top off with ATF or whatever you use while the engine is HOT and RUNNING, otherwise you will overfill it accidentally. Other than that if you can't do transmission work yourself buy a used tranny in advance before taking it to the repair shop and it will save you a few hundred.

Why not get a auto trans service ? at least then you will know .. could be failing .. could be trans filter problem ..

In australia Auto trans service would cost $150 so it might be worth looking up in your local area

some auto trans cost $2000 to replace so a service is cheaper I even had a simular problem on my family car turned out to be 1 faulty spark plug lead ...