Brake pedal and ABS problems after new tie rod end and front pads installed

drobinbarker

Hello:

I am brand new here. Glad to find you all.

I have a 2003 Solara, with 212,000 miles and it is a wonderful machine. Today I had required major suspension work done: Replacement of Four (4) struts; Replacement of Tie Rod End; Replacement of front brake pads; Front end alignment. Upon acquiring the vehicle at the end of the shop's day, I drove off. At the first traffic light, when I came to a complete stop, I felt the brake pedal very slowly 'travel' all the way to the floor. Concerned I returned to the shop. The mechanic drove it and stated he found nothing wrong with the brakes; and indicated that sometimes with new pad on "old rotors" there can be some movement, or something to that effect. I was told to bring it back tomorrow if the problems continue. Upon driving away I found that each time I came to a stop the same 'soft' pedal was apparent and with consistent foot pressure the brake pedal would slowly yield and go all the way to the floor. Concerned I decided to do a power stop to check the ABS, and I found that the ABS apparently is no longer working as there was no ABS braking sensation/vibration/effect; and the tires actually locked up and screeched on the pavement. The ABS light only came on after I turned off the engine and then moved the key to start the car; and upon the engine starting the ABS light goes out (properly). Can anyone please comment on the apparent cause(s) for these conditions?

Thank you.

Robin