91 Camry idles rough when in gear - may stall

ctyankeeinok

My 91 Camry DX automatic (which I just bought used) runs a bit rough when I am waiting at a light or stop sign. Sometimes it will stall when I step on the gas. It runs smooth in park. I know the transmission was replaced at one time (30K ago?). Is there a relatively easy way to adjust at what point the tranny engages more forcefully? I thought if I could raise that point a little, it may solve the problem. Or, how do you increase the engine idle? I have not worked much on a fuel injected engine.

I did find that the air tube from the air fileter housing to the engine has a pretty serious crack in it. I ordered a new one from the dealer for $65 (ugh!). At least that was cheaper than the other dealer in town who wanted over $80. Unfortunately the cheaper one is significantly closer. I'll drive across town for the cheaper parts. We'll see if this fixes the problem....

• 3 months later...
My 91 Camry DX automatic (which I just bought used) runs a bit rough when I am waiting at a light or stop sign.  Sometimes it will stall when I step on the gas.  It runs smooth in park.  I know the transmission was replaced at one time (30K ago?).  Is there a relatively easy way to adjust at what point the tranny engages more forcefully?  I thought if I could raise that point a little, it may solve the problem.  Or, how do you increase the engine idle?  I have not worked much on a fuel injected engine.

See also posts on CAMRY Hesitates - check your ignition coil - it may be going bad - arcing. Look for traces of black carbon from metal contact to surrounding areas. Coil is under the plastic cover below the rotor.

b-t-w, the idle is controlled by a small screw locked by a small nut under the throttle wheel, next to throttle body. Uses a small hex wrench at lower end to adjust in/out after loosening the lock screw. Adjust while engine is off in order to rotate the throttle wheel out of the way to adjust the screw.