2.2L engine oil filter self draining?

blanik

When I changed the oil and filter on my mother's 2001 2.2 liter Camry last fall, it had a no-name filter from the shop she had taken it to last oil change. That was the first time I worked on her car. After I drained the oil, I started unscrewing the filter, expecting oil to pour out of it onto the engine block. I was surprised to find the filter was already drained. I replaced it with the proper Fram PH4967. Today, I changed the oil again, and this time, oil did come pouring out of the filter when I unscrewed it. It seemed to be full of oil. What normally happens when the filter is removed for replacement with this engine? Do some brands of filters self-drain (and some don't) when the engine is off? If some do, wouldn't that cause the oil pressure to be low at startup while the filter fills up? Is there a way to avoid spilling a filter-full of oil when a non-self-draining filter is removed?

I have several cars with this engine and I think that all filters will eventually drain. Some faster than others. I always use Fram. If I remove it shortly after running the car the oil runs all over the block. If I wait (sometimes I wait up to 1 hour to let all of the oil drip out of the oil pan) then the filter is empty when it is removed and there is no mess. I always change the oil immediatley after the car has been run for a while and fully warmed up. This ensures a complete removal of sediments that may sit in the engine if the oil is drained cold.

• 4 weeks later...

I have several cars with this engine and I think that all filters will eventually drain. Some faster than others. I always use Fram. If I remove it shortly after running the car the oil runs all over the block. If I wait (sometimes I wait up to 1 hour to let all of the oil drip out of the oil pan) then the filter is empty when it is removed and there is no mess. I always change the oil immediatley after the car has been run for a while and fully warmed up. This ensures a complete removal of sediments that may sit in the engine if the oil is drained cold.

It just does not seem right that the filter will empty itself, as the no-name filter did, even after months of disuse. That means the engine will be running without oil pressure for a few seconds at startup while the filter is refilling. The engine had been stopped for 5 to 10 minutes while I drained the oil before I removed the filter in both cases. Next time, I will try punching a hole in the top of the filter to see if it will drain faster. Has anybody else tried that?